Authentic Normandy Landscape Project: DOG GREEN and CHARLIE

Hi all,

Finally - it’s done! :) I’m proud to present you the next Authentic Normandy Landscape map:

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-10481073/DOG-GREEN-and-CHARLIE.jpg.html

Again, various different maps and sources have been used in order to reconstruct this historic battle site.

Please note that I deployed only German forces so far for map design purposes (LOS etc.). The rest is up to you...! :rolleyes:

As always, constructive feedback is very much appreciated!

Enjoy!

Regards,

Heckenschütze

ANLP_Dog Green and Charlie.zip

Good map, no doubt meticulously researched but ....

why are the Allies attacking in the wrong direction? Map should surely be the other way round if you want to claim it as an authentic Normandy landscape - the Normandy landings were made NORTH to SOUTH. A minor quibble, I know - but it really irritates me :-)

Not really. At a tactical level the Allies were frequently attacking in directions other than south.

Also, don't forget that to capture Cherbourg the US forces had to attack due north!

But, yes, as regards landings at beaches, the British / Canadian landings at Sword, Gold etc. and the US landings at Omaha were southwards, while Utah, of course was westward.

It' going to be a frequent mapmaking error I would have thought so a rotate map tool would be very useful. Is there one? Not seen it if there is.

Thank you for your feedback!

Well, Oddball_E8, this makes it even more realistic. In real life the poor guys weren’t able to retreat and swim back to England either. :)

The north-south issue is the only thing I am not confident with – you’re right. Unfortunately the map was nearly complete when I recognized it. Is there a way to change this, now that the map is finished?

@ LarsS: Concerning your question on the difference of the width of the beach between high and low tide, check the link and the fifth picture:

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/428201/Omaha-Beach

Maybe the distance between water and beach wall is maybe slightly too long in my map. What do you think?

My next map will be costal highway towards Saint-Pierre-du-Mont. The 29th used this route to reach Pointe du Hoc to retrieve the Ranger force there.

Regards,

Heckenschütze

I have also been working on Dog Green/Charlie sector and will eventually build Vierville and beyond. I'm working on a campaign with the player representing the commander of 9./III./726 Regiment with orders of defending the beach. If successful he will get reinforcements from 352nd division to help him and perhaps even halt the assault.

Player can also take command of I./116 Regiment and try to fight to take Vierville on D-day. It could even be possible to play it 2 players.

Some images:

2dtdnav.jpg

2816l54.jpg

2vxira0.jpg

2pqo0tg.jpg

2lihmcz.jpg

@ LarsS: Concerning your question on the difference of the width of the beach between high and low tide, check the link and the fifth picture:

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/428201/Omaha-Beach

Maybe the distance between water and beach wall is maybe slightly too long in my map. What do you think?

I would say it looks about right as is. At least according to the graphic below, which I found when googling WTH a Belgian gate is (and yes, now I want them in the game!:)).

47995-004-DF86BA5D.gif