Quick Yes or No question

Would I see a lot better picture if switching from a 32 video card to a 64 card. My processor is a Pent. 850. Please don't confuse me with rpm's or any of that other stuff because I don't understand it and just confuses rather then helps. Let me ask it this way. Is it worth spending $150.00 to go from 32 to 64. Any help would be appreciated.

In general, the amount of memory won't improve the look of the game, unless there is downsampling involved. You probably don't have to worry about that with CMBO.

A 64 meg card will allow you to run more hi-res textures, more smoothly than a 32 meg card will. It will also allow you to run some video card features smoother, which do improve the look of the game.

If you plan on getting CMBB, you probably should upgrade, since the stock textures are higher-res then CMBO stock textures.

you can get gforce3's for less than 150 w/ 128mb

so if the card you're specifically looking at really is 64mb for 150 go to newegg.com and do a search under vid cards because you can do better - either by spending less or by spending the same and getting more

i picked up a gold sample 128mb gainward Ti200 3 or 4 months ago for something like 120 bucks at newegg

as for direct answer to your question, no, don't bother buying a new card if the one you've got works - after all, you can always pick one up, no doubt cheaper at that point than they are now, whenever you do finally decide to get cmbb - besides, you might find that your current card runs cmbb just fine when you get it

i've run cmbo and cmbb on 16mb cards, on 32 and on a 128 - frankly, it doesn't make that much difference

[ March 21, 2003, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: easytarget ]

Thanks easytarget. That sounds like some good advice since I really don't enjoy throwing money away. So there seems to be some question weather or not it would really really improve the game at least CMBO wise. As far as spending that much money ($150.00) that includes labor also since there is no way I'd figure out how to physically install it or even if I could physically install it I know there are drivers or stuff also to install and that would be way over my head. Thanks for the advice.

No problem at all. The graphics in CM just aren't that advanced. And in many ways that's very cool because it means the game works on older hardware and allows for a wider audience. The downside is throwing beefy hardware at it doesn't really get you the bang for the buck it does with games that are more vid intensive.

Btw, Schrullenhaft is a regular here and the resident guru on all things computer related, I can pretty much guarantee you he could walk you through putting a vid card in.

I'm no expert, but even still I've installed dozens of vid cards and drivers for them over the years and could probably get you through it as well.

So when the time comes, consider just purchasing the card and then we'll walk you through installing it. If done right, it seriously only takes about 10 minutes to do.

[ March 22, 2003, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: easytarget ]

Yeah I also noticed that we're both from Austin. That's kind of neat. Yes pretty nice town but man it is getting too big. I've been here now for about 22 years. Oh and for your info I learned yesterday from the General Forum that Renaud is also from Austin so that makes 3 of us. And again easytarget I do appreciate the offer and might very well take you up on it one day not too far in the future.

Originally posted by wwb_99:

CMBB runs perfectly fine on my 32mb GeForce MX, and it is playable on a 16mb ATI Rage Mobility.

WWB

I confirm this ! I have got a Toshiba Laptop (1900-101) with 1,7 GHz processor, 256 Mo Ram and this ATI video card. It works smoothly after some setups (using 3DRage Tweak smile.gif ).

Regards.