Identification of Units

My theory is that BFC assumes players will impose certain rules on themselves when playing Elite or Iron, in order to make playing against the AI more challenging -- but not to increase FOW or realism. For example, you could choose to never click on an enemy icon when playing Elite, or choose to give orders to each of your units only by clicking +/- to go from one unit to the next. Unless you impose rules like that, Elite/Iron don't seem to be very good choices, since they otherwise just slow you down but don't otherwise increase FOW or realism.

My best guess. :)

Really? They assume that no PBEM player will sneak a look when they are in a tight situation?

It seems like a very easy thing for BF to fix. Just don't give so much info away when clicking on an enemy unit.

Really? They assume that no PBEM player will sneak a look when they are in a tight situation?

Well, I'm sorry it wasn't clear that I was talking about playing against the AI -- that is, the intent is to make it more challenging to defeat the AI. After all, the overwhelming majority of people who play games like CM play against the AI.

And this is just my theory. The original Iron Man rules (by Franko) were self-imposed, and included the proviso that you can only shift from unit to unit using the +/- keys (IIRC). So, I'm thinking that the Iron level is just a way to help implement that concept, with Elite being a less rigorous implementation. Otherwise I don't see any reason to use Elite/Iron, but possibly I am missing/forgetting something in Elite that makes it more realistic than Warrior.

The difference with Iron is that friendly units need to spot each other to see their icons.

You realize, I assume, that friendly units aren't looking for icons. :)

Friendly units being in or out of C2 occurs at all levels the same way. It's just a matter of what you can easily see as the player which changes. And by making this more difficult, you make it more challenging to play against the AI. It's a contrivance. :)

Yes - I do understand that. I was just mentioning the difference between Elite and Iron.

I should have written ... each other 'for the player' to see their icons.

This may be going on longer than necessary, but ... there are two possibilities for Elite and Iron:

1. They each provide an incremental layer of realism that is otherwise not true with Warrior. That is, Elite puts you, as commander in a situation that is more realistic, and Iron even more so. So that Iron is the closest thing to being a WWII commander. Or ...

2. They each provide an incremental layer of handicap. That is, Elite handicaps you more than would be true for a real life commander, and Iron even more so, especially if you play along with the implied, self-imposed rules. The purpose of the handicaps is to make it more difficult to beat the AI. Otherwise, they aren't doing anything useful.

I think the correct answer is #2. That was my only point. But I wanted to acknowledge the possibility that Elite was providing some enhancement to realism which I didn't know about. I am pretty sure that Iron is not doing that.