Coming in the U.S.A.!

Dear U.S. guys,

after a long wait, al last I have a chance to make a journey in the U.S.A. this summer.

The schedule is almost defined: New York, Niagara falls, Washington, Miami, Orlando... you know, some of the classical places for one that comes for the first time.

Anyway, there is a part of the schedule that is still open and is the trip from Buffalo to Washington by car through the State of Pennsylvania.

I'd like to ask you if you can suggest some nice place (town, natural park, tourist attraction, etc.) along the way which is worth the visit (and the stop).

Thank you in advance

I spent 2 weeks based in Harrisburg Pa 30 years ago - and took as many day trips to Gettysburg as I could - "locals" will be better able to tell you if it is near your proposed route, but if you have any nterest in military history.

If this is likely a "once in a lifetime" then you'll eternally regret either not going there......or having to leave after not enough time spent wandering the battlefield!

I also managed a short stop at the public displays at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds - assuming they are stil there, and still ahve the awesome displays of vehicles (ie they haven't rusted away!) it's also worth the time

I also managed a short stop at the public displays at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds - assuming they are stil there' date=' and still ahve the awesome displays of vehicles (ie they haven't rusted away!) it's also worth the time[/quote']

The Ordinance Museum is being moved from Aberdeen to Ft. Lee Virginia (everything will be indoors). Don't know how much is still at Aberdeen.

Coming from the civilisation of Florence , and Italy, to the US. : )

Still we all travel differently. You sure have an amzing schedule if it is less than three weeks. As a tourist my thing about the US is to avoid the tourist traps and go for the scenery, but then that is how I travel in France also.

If you use TripAdvisor- as for Phildelphia it leads to these:

You might like statues so there is the Rodin museum - the largest collection outside of Paris. The Morris Arboretum seems good.

You can go around an 1892 battleship .....

Apparently 240 different attractions in Philidelphia itself.

But for me I think I would look at this site first

http://www.trails.com/toptrails.aspx?area=14397

#1. Delaware Water Gap Scenic Drive: From Portland, PA, to Grey Towers (outside Milford)

This 38.2-mile linear drive pursues the Pennsylvania shore of the unfettered Delaware River upstream through Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area (NRA) to the charming old grace of Milford. The… From the guidebook "Scenic Driving Pennsylvania"

Portland, PA - Scenic Drives - 38.2 miles

#2. Lancaster Valley Amish Country Tour: From Morgantown to Lancaster

star_gray.gifstar_gray.gifstar_gray.gifstar_gray.gifstar_gray.gif

This 73.5-mile drive traces a serpentine path through the Lancaster Amish Country, avoiding for the most part the highly promoted tourist routes. It offers glimpses of Amish life and despite following… From the guidebook "Scenic Driving Pennsylvania"

Morgantown, PA - Scenic Drives - 73.5 miles

#3. Carlisle - Tuscarora State Forest Auto Tour: From Carlisle to the Forest Loop west out of Alinda

This relaxing, 76-mile backroads tour travels quiet highways and the gravel forest roads of Tuscarora State Forest, incorporating the forest’s own 26-mile designated auto tour; brochures for the fores… From the guidebook "Scenic Driving Pennsylvania"

Carlisle, PA - Scenic Drives - 76 miles

#4. Adams County Scenic Valley and Historic Conewago Tours

Two scenic loop drives explore outward from Gettysburg like mismatched butterfly wings; they may be toured together or separately. The western loop, the 35.5-mile Scenic Valley Tour brushes a chapter… From the guidebook "Scenic Driving Pennsylvania"

Gettysburg, PA - Scenic Drives - 35.5 miles