Tank targetting question

All,

If I want a tank to shoot at a target for 30 secs and then stop, how do I do it?

I assume I target and hit pause for 30 secs but then what? When I told the tank to move it kept shooting at the target as it was moving

Thx

jonpfl

All,

If I want a tank to shoot at a target for 30 secs and then stop, how do I do it?

I assume I target and hit pause for 30 secs but then what? When I told the tank to move it kept shooting at the target as it was moving

Thx

jonpfl

There is no way to directly control how long an AFV shoots at a target. However if you want to "area fire" there is a way to control how long an AFV shoots at a area by giving the area fire command with a 30 second pause. The AFV will pause for 30 seconds before shooting and then begin to fire during the remaining 30 seconds.

There is no way to directly control how long an AFV shoots at a target. However if you want to "area fire" there is a way to control how long an AFV shoots at a area by giving the area fire command with a 30 second pause. The AFV will pause for 30 seconds before shooting and then begin to fire during the remaining 30 seconds.

This is inaccurate.

Combat commands are associated with waypoints, including the one your unit is sat on. They're valid until they're superceded by another combat command, necessarily at another waypoint. Pause is not a combat command, and only affects when the unit will execute its movement orders.

To have an AFV shoot at an area for a controlled amount of time, you need to issue it with a movement order, then at that new waypoint give it a short covered arc (or tell it to shoot at a different target). The most accurate way of controlling the time (without having the ability to use blocking terrain to cut LOS) is to give it a pause at the start of the turn, then a minium length Fast movement (assuming not in bad terrain) with a Covered Arc associated with the waypoint. The unit will sit still for the length of the Pause, firing on its nominated target (as sighting allows). After the pause it will begin to move. If it's a vehicle, it will still be trying to shoot at the target you nominated at the beginning of the sequence. When it arrives at the destination waypoint it will adopt the instructed Cover Arc, and only fire at targets which are either in the arc or which are threatening/juicy enough to override the Arc.

So if you want to shoot at something for 20s, and it's going to take 5s for the vehicle to move to the 'cover arc' waypoint, Pause for 15s.

Considering the travel time isn't so necessary for infantry, since they don't fire while moving, though if the movement leg is very long and they're using Slow or Quick, they'll probably stop on the way for pot-shots.