Aerial FOs

Much like Air to Ground Attack, not something that was generally done in areas where enemy and friendly ground units were already in close contact.

Aerial FOs were very effective at directing deeper interdiction, counterbattery, and harassment fires. This just isn't something you'd actually see on the CMBN map scale.

Are we talking about Air Corps assets like P47's acting as FO's or light army liaison a/c like the the L-4 or L-5? The latter were used to adjust long range artillery fires, at great risk to themselves. I've never read of a high performance fighter in that era doing the same, though.

Gunner,

Spitfires were used to adjust naval gunfire during Op NEPTUNE and in the weeks thereafter.

However, in the general sense I should think it's Grasshoppers and Austers being referred to in this thread.

WarrenPeace,

In one of the CMMCs I was involved in many moons ago, AOPs were simulated by creating a max-height pillar with the elevation tool along the back edge of the map, then placing a building atop it, and parking an FO inside. The elevation allowed excellent observation, while the building prevented the AI spotting the FO and destroying it in an instant sunflower-of-death. As i recall, there was also a house rule that prevented targetting the house directly (and thus the FO team it obviously contained). In CMBN this same approach would probably work even better, and with the greater flexibility of the elevation setting you can probably do an even better job.

Jon

Also, I think they were small in number (just one spotter plane under each division HQ?), so there's a limit to how many places it could be at once and how much it could do.

Actually, each US artillery battalion (divisional and separate) had 2 - there were hundreds of these a/c in the ETO during the war.

Given their fragile nature and slow speed, I think it unlikely they would venture anywhere near where bullets, let alone 2cm/3.7cm shells, would be flying.

Were Flak units allowed to target the house on the pillar, or did the baseline simulate an orbit outside their reach?