Pause the game during a LAN/INTERNET ?

If you cast your eye about at the signature lines of many on the forums you will see the battle scars and epitaphs of the bitter struggle that ensues with regard to having a Real Time pause button.

Only my sig indicates the true path to enlightenment, but you are free to choose which of the camps you shall side with. ;)

It'd be annoying to be playing and have someone keep on pausing the game on you though.

I generally play RT games on a LAN, and back when designers still included pause-able RT in games it was never a problem. I can see how it could get annoying fast with a poor connection and/or some opponents... but I'd really appreciate the option.

Despite that, and almost on topic: So far as single-player games go, anyone else find they preferred Shock Force in RT but like CMBN WEGO? I'd like to think that the faster-pace of modern warfare makes plausible RT objectively the better choice for CMSF. But I suspect that's BS and I'm just accustomed to WEGO for WWII CMing