Little to no, game preferences?

I can't get the mod for ambient sound to work. I've put the raw file in my z folder. I've used the mod tools on it. Still, I get ambient sounds, a loop of over the top noise, louder than my game sounds. I don't understand the lack of in game control for these preferences! I could swear the first generation had a alt-s setting to turn off ambient sound. So many parts of this game seem just plain lazy for the development side.

Alt-S toggles sound on and off. As for mods - I don't think we make any guarantees that third-party mods will work at all. We provide tools for their creation, but if they don't work you need to talk to the mod creator.

I want to turn ambient sound off. There is no option to turn off the ambient sound. It's louder than my game sounds. All I've found are mods. The complaints go back to shock force. Still no preferences. Most comparable games give a minimum level of preference control. Apparently have to hack out the sound in this game with a mod.

I think the OP was a little harsh in the way he stated it, but I agree with him in principle. Lots of people really dislike the ambient (background) sounds and/or find them distracting. The only way to turn off the ambient sounds without turning off ALL sounds is to mod the game - which you, Phil, explicitly say isn't guaranteed to work.

This is something that goes all the way back to CMBO, where users are required to replace a sound file with a blank noise to fix the issue. It's great that we actually can fix the issue, but it would be really nice if some of these types of things were available for control within the game, in the same way that resolution is user selectable. I know that the answer to this is going to be the same as it is for pretty much every request: We don't have enough time to do it all. But I'm just sayin', a lot of users would probably appreciate this functionality, and it doesn't appear to this admitted layman to be a huge deal to implement. My $0.02.

I think the OP was a little harsh in the way he stated it, but I agree with him in principle. Lots of people really dislike the ambient (background) sounds and/or find them distracting. The only way to turn off the ambient sounds without turning off ALL sounds is to mod the game - which you, Phil, explicitly say isn't guaranteed to work.

Hmm. Ridge, are you playing the Mac version?

As for mods, they *should* work - if you replace the right file and the sound file is created properly, etc., you can mod sounds to your heart's content. We just can't guarantee that the mod will work, as we didn't create it. If a sound mod isn't working it's best to a) make sure it's installed properly and B) talk to the mod creator.

This is something that goes all the way back to CMBO, where users are required to replace a sound file with a blank noise to fix the issue. It's great that we actually can fix the issue, but it would be really nice if some of these types of things were available for control within the game, in the same way that resolution is user selectable. I know that the answer to this is going to be the same as it is for pretty much every request: We don't have enough time to do it all. But I'm just sayin', a lot of users would probably appreciate this functionality, and it doesn't appear to this admitted layman to be a huge deal to implement. My $0.02.

Well, we *don't* have enough time to do it all. However we do take reasonable suggestions seriously. This suggestion seems perfectly reasonable. Doable - I'm not sure. But reasonable, yes.

Speaking of which - did you see my response to your thread regarding differentiating engineers and ammo bearers? That's another example of a reasonable suggestion. Whether it's going to take way too much time to implement is something different, but there's no harm in asking for things.

I should also note that asking nicely does tend to make discussing suggestions easier for all involved. For instance calling the developer "lazy" isn't the sort of thing that usually sparks useful conversations out in the world, is it? As for preferences, Ridge - there are a ton of them. They should be listed in the manual and they're also available in-game.