Grogs please: What is 66mm HE?

I was wondering whether anyone can explain to me what the '66mm HE' ammo is that my team is carrying in this picture. I kind of assume they are HE rifle grenades, but I couldn't find anything about them in the manual and quick Googleing didn't turn anything up either.

If they are rifle grenades, why aren't they shown in the part of the GUI where other team equipment is shown with pictures, like the AP rifle grenade? Though that may really be a question for BFC as opposed to you grogs. :)

Someone please enlighten me?

66mm.jpg

That is clearly meant to be your rifle grenade ammo. But in reality, the standard rifle grenade of WW II (the M9A1, a HEAT grenade) was 48mm in diameter, not 66mm. The larger 66mm variety was fielded in the Korean war.

"66mm HE" refers only to the HE frag grenade. AT grenades are shown by individual icon in the equipment window. Not sure why it says 66mm HE, as the M17 was 57mm.

"66mm HE" refers only to the HE frag grenade. AT grenades are shown by individual icon in the equipment window. Not sure why it says 66mm HE, as the M17 was 57mm.

It is my understanding that by Mid-1944 the M17 was on its way out of service, and the M1 projection adapter, which was simply a rifle-launched "carrier" for the standard Mk. II Hand Grenade, was more common.

don't know offhand what the "caliber" of a Mk. II grenade is, but regardless of whether we're talking about the M17 grenade or the M1 projection adapter, "66mm HE" isn't the best descriptor... you don't usually think of rifle grenades in terms of their caliber. Perhaps it should be changed to "Frag RG" for Fragmentation Rifle Grenade, er sumfink...

It is my understanding that by Mid-1944 the M17 was on its way out of service, and the M1 projection adapter, which was simply a rifle-launched "carrier" for the standard Mk. II Hand Grenade, was more common.

don't know offhand what the "caliber" of a Mk. II grenade is, but regardless of whether we're talking about the M17 grenade or the M1 projection adapter, "66mm HE" isn't the best descriptor... you don't usually think of rifle grenades in terms of their caliber. Perhaps it should be changed to "Frag RG" for Fragmentation Rifle Grenade, er sumfink...

Don't know which one it is supposed to be since it uses the M9A1 model, but it behaves like an M17 (explodes on impact), but yeah, the designation in game is not helpful.