AI pre battle artillery

so i have been playing the german side of the busting bocage battle. and some reason now matter how i position my guys the US always seem to bombard specific units with mortar or artillery. now this would be nothing out of the ordinary except that my guys are hidden inside trenches or fox holes.

what i dont get is how does the AI know to attack these areas. shouldnt the computer not know where any of these positions are since they are out of los? even if i hide one of the 75s behind a hedge way out of site of the american starting position they still get hammered. how does the computer know where these units are to bombard?

so i have been playing the german side of the busting bocage battle. and some reason now matter how i position my guys the US always seem to bombard specific units with mortar or artillery. now this would be nothing out of the ordinary except that my guys are hidden inside trenches or fox holes.

what i dont get is how does the AI know to attack these areas. shouldnt the computer not know where any of these positions are since they are out of los? even if i hide one of the 75s behind a hedge way out of site of the american starting position they still get hammered. how does the computer know where these units are to bombard?

When designing scenarios, it is possible to designate areas that are a good idea to bombard for the AI. This is probably one of the reasons why the big exploding things are falling on your guys.

When designing scenarios, it is possible to designate areas that are a good idea to bombard for the AI. This is probably one of the reasons why the big exploding things are falling on your guys.

i can see that happening, but i once had a squad in a trench in the middle of the road that runs along the the back part of the map. between where the main bocage area and the mortars are set up in their default location. i just cant see any amount of intel being able to locate an individual squad hiding behind some random bocage.

Well, it's pretty easy to guess where the enemy is going to set up. A common defensive tactic to prepare your positions then move to a safer location and wait until any pre-assault bombardment is finished then rush back into them when the enemy is beginning his ground assault.