TCP/IP problems

Castle

CMBB crashes constantly. Load times are rediculous and more than half the time crashes.

I'm a longtime player.

Here's the situation:

I'm in Germany (american version)

partner in Belgium

Both have same version i.e. 1.03

He's running on Cable, me on DSL

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love this game and think there's no better way than to play against a human.

PLease tell me it's not an inherant fault with the game

Is this the first time you've played against this opponent via TCP/IP ? Have you had this problem playing anyone else via TCP/IP ? Does this other player have the CDV or the BFC (american) version of the game ? Who is hosting, you or the other player ? Have you played a CM TCP/IP game using this internet provider before ? I assume that it is only a TCP/IP game that causes this problem and not Solo or PBEM ?

Yes, only in TCP/IP

We've both hosted with the same results.

We also play CMBO. It crashes too, but not as much as CMBB. CMBB is rediculous for us.

He is Belgian, so I'm pretty sure he has a European version.

I've played others in the past (CMBO) when I lived in the states and never had a problem that I can remember. (was 2 yrs ago)

Does CMBB crash for just you or do both of you see the same results ? Are you running an internet chat client in the background (MSN, AOL, Yahoo Instant Messengers) ? If you are then this may cause a problem. Usually the problem is when your computer is performing turn calculation (usually done on the computer that is hosting) and you receive an instant message, which may lock up the computer at that point.

Are you running any firewall software (ZoneAlarm, etc.) and if so, which version ? If you're running Windows, which version ?

The game crashes for both of us.

No, we don not run anything else in the background.

I run Win 98. I don't know what he runs.

I would like to know if this is a common thing. The game is 100% more CPU intensive than the last which IMO, is not really a big problem (though surprising for a wargame), but if making it look pretty has sacrificed playibility, then I'm greatly dissapointed in the foresight and testing that was done. I mean no disrespect, but the game should run fine. If this is a common problem, I would like to know. If it is not, then I would like to know as well, so that I can look into possibly correcting things on my end.

No, its not a common problem. Some people have had problems with TCP/IP play in CMBB, but nothing has been duplicated with any consistency.

The old CMBO TCP/IP bug of 'captured crews' is not a problem with CMBB.

So a Ctrl-Alt-Del in Win98 will only show 'Explorer' and 'Systray' on your system before you launch CM ?

Have you attempted to play TCP/IP with anyone else ? I'm not saying that there is something wrong with your TCP/IP buddy, but it would be nice to know if you consistently have this problem hooking up to anyone.

What exactly is happening ? Are you getting an 'error ding' sound and CMBB crash (disappears) and leaves you back at the desktop ? Does this happen for both of you or only for the person receiving the data ?

Decoy are you using any Firewall software or a server ? Do you have anything running in the background while playing CMBB ?

The CM series is a bit different from other TCP/IP enabled games in that it sends large packets back and forth for the turns. It sends quite a bit less data than some other games, but the files it does send are significantly larger (a necessity with the way the CM engine works).

Some broadband internet providers have a very small 'sending' pipe, especially compared to their 'download/receiving' pipe. One example of this disparity is when you send large email attachments (discounting a slow mail server). Anyway, these kind of details can make a difference in the way CM plays compared to other games that send many, much smaller packets back and forth (and/or use centralized game servers).

The reason I mentioned trying a different opponent was to see if this problem occurred trying to hook up to someone else on a different network.

You may both want to get onto a chat service with file-transfer capabilities. Try out a PBEM using the chat software to move the files back and forth and see if the speed problem continues. You won't have the crashing (since CMBB isn't 'waiting' for the data), but the speed issue should probably show itself in some manner. Of course you'll both need to be sitting down waiting for the turns as if you were playing a TCP/IP game.

i am not running any firewalls or other programs, when finished giving orders and receiving opp. data the game hangs after several min. then gives the message conn. aborted, the game can be continued using the autosave,then returns to main screen, when reloading same thing happens, as Castle stated we have alot less problems with CMBO, CMBB is just unplayable through IP, i havent played other opp. over TCP/IP yet so cannot compare