I can't send E-mail attachments

I am posting this here because I am thoroughly befuddled. I use IE 6 and I have Norton Anti-virus and utilities and Zone-alarm firewall. The problem occurs when i try to send e-mail with attachments. I just can't send them. I get the following error messages (after a long wait):

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'Re: Monty', Account: 'shawmail', Server: 'shawmail', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10054, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Subject 'Re: Test message from Shaw', Account: 'shawmail', Server: 'shawmail', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

I spent two hours on the phone yesterday with tech-support from my ISP (Cable internet btw). I have checked all the setings, tweaked them every way I can. I've shut down norton and Zone-alarm, it still doesn't work. I am not a computer expert and I am stumped. any suggestions or help would be appreciated. I have to go to work now, I will check back her in approx. 9 hours. Please help if you have any ideas or questions.

Originally posted by Don:

I am posting this here because I am thoroughly befuddled. I use IE 6 and I have Norton Anti-virus and utilities and Zone-alarm firewall. The problem occurs when i try to send e-mail with attachments. I just can't send them. I get the following error messages (after a long wait):

Try resetting your user name and password in Outlook Express... perhaps your user info or other settings has become corrupt at some point. THat happens to me every now and again (I do NOT use IE, but the password box uses windows encryption schemes and the pw becomes hosed now and again (rare, but it happens)... retype the pw and all is well again.).

If that fails, maybe something's up with OE itself... try installing a third party mail prog and configure it and see what happens (Eudora, etc.).

Also, make sure that your email is workign right (yeah yeah, your ISP's tech support said all was well... they could be wrong).. does you ISP provide a web based mail reader? If so, you might gove that a shot and see if it deliveres and sends mail.

All that pre-supposes that you cannot send mail at all. You say you can't send with attachments... can you send at all? How about if you send a very small attachment?

[ April 04, 2002, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Compassion ]

Heres a more detailed exlanation:

I can send e-mails without attachments and recieve e-mails with and without attachments. I can even squeeze a small (20 kb) attachment through. I normally use outlook express but I have Outlook installed as well so I configured that and it doesn't work either. Hotmail works, but very slowly and with small attachments. I have re-installed/uninstalled every program I thought might conflict somehow (Norton, Zonealarm, MSN messenger etc., etc.). I've also reset all my setttings and passwords. The tech guy from my ISP set up my e-mail account on his computer and successfuly sent me an e-mail with no attachment. It was actually funny in an infuriating way, I went all the way up through the chain of command to the manager and he was completely befuddled, and as soon as I sent a small 12 kb atttachment he pretty well hung up on me. This started three days ago and I am completely stumped. I am sure it must be some sort of software problem somewhere.

If you're using OutLook/OutLook Express, then a number of the settings are controlled via the Internet Options for Explorer (also a control panel). Have you applied any patches to IE lately ? Can you recall anything that you may have changed between the time your attachments went through and when you first started having problems with them ?

In OutLook Express go to Tools > Accounts > highlight your email account (from your provider) > click Properties button > Advanced tab > Typically the outgoing mail (SMTP) port number is 25 (which is the port that's reporting the error). Do you have the SSL checkbox selected (it typically shouldn't be) ?

I wonder if your ISP has changed anything about the email accounts. You may want to sign up for a web based email service and experiment around with that.

Originally posted by Don:

Heres a more detailed exlanation:

Odd odd odd.... can you use the shaw webmail service?

https://webmail.shaw.ca/

If you can, the problem is with your system somewhere. Lemme ask... are you using one ofthose off the shelf hardware 'routers?' If so have you flashed it recently?

If not, then you have definitive proof that there's something up with your mail server and you should be able to use that as proof positive to make your ISP tech support do some real checking on your account.