Strange rhythmic cracking sound starting during Valley of Trouble Scenario of Demo

Vadian

Demo Version 1.02d

PIII 500, Sound Blaster Live Value

Valley of Trouble scenario starts with all sound playing correctly. About mid-scenario, a loud rhythmic cracking sound can be heard which does not seem to belong to the game. I've played that scenario now twice with that strange sound starting out of the blue. Couldn't yet figure out what causes this problem.

Does anybody have a suggestion/tip?

I haven't heard this sound myself. I assume that you're running with the Liveware 3.0 drivers (which have been out since Oct/Nov '99). Are you running any "environments" ? You may want to close down some of the Liveware apps that may be running. Go to Control Panel > AudioHQ control panel > Device Controls > Wave tab > adjust the slider to the right to increase the number of simultaneous waves that can be played (the default is usually 4). I haven't had this problem myself and "4" seems to be enough, but maybe increasing the count may help with your problem.

Does the sound seem to be associated with anything on screen (like a fire or engine running, etc.) ? Is the sound "directional" (i.e. - you can scroll and rotate around the battlefield and the sound will move - in emphasis - from one speaker to another or fade) ?

Yes, I forgot to mention: The sound is directional as it will move between speakers and fade away. However, I somehow cannot figure out what is making it. The sound, however, definitely does not belong in the game.

> Are you running any "environments"?

Yes, I'm running the "Living Room" environmental.

> You may want to close down some of the Liveware apps that may be running.

There're none running.

> increase the number of simultaneous waves that can be played

It is currently on 4. I'll increase when I play the Valley of Trouble scenario for a third time (I lost the previous two tries).