Directing fire?

What I typically do, with success, is order the mortar team(s) to move where I want via the waypoints I want, then once I've set the final destination I press the "Deploy Weapon" to where it is bright and outlined. One the team gets to where I've ordered them to go, they'll automatically deploy the tubes for firing.

You can usually tell straight away if your mortar/HMG team is deployed without the need to zoom in and actually look at your men if you just select them by there icon the centre of the UI at the bottom of the screen shows the units silhouette, it will say across it "not deployed" if not deployed. If nothing is written there then it is deployed, but whether its available is another matter IMO.

I was surprised to see in my fifth attempt at the demo training scenario that there's quite a variation in the German forces the US is up against. In addition to the 75mm AT gun, this time there were two heavy machine guns, a batch of AT teams, and the total German troop strength was over 100 men.

It doesn't seem right that the US player should get so much info about the visible G forces, but, when G forces are sighted, I can click on the unit and see its ID, its ammo level, and the state of each man in the unit -- spotting, aiming, cowering, whatever.

I looked at the posted picts. German radio usage is a bit more rigid than American - in my opinion. The mortar teams might've needed a radio man more closely related to their unit in order to properly 'borrow' it. Imagine going up to your battalion commander and saying "Herr General, may I borrow your radio for a minute?" An alternate theory might be that the Btn HQ is simply not standing close enough to the mortars for them to 'borrow'! Borrowing radios works like ammo sharing, you gotta get close enough for it to work.