Sound modding question...

If I would like to add more variety to a particular sound can I just add more to the list?

for example:

incoming artillery - very light 1.wav

incoming artillery - very light 2.wav

incoming artillery - very light 3.wav

explosion c 1.wav

explosion c 2.wav

explosion c 3.wav

Does the game choose randomly from a list. I'v been looking at the file structure and it seems it kind of does this, but is this universal or just certain sounds?

Thanks for the help!

SFX yes...'cept for background, music and vehicle sounds.

Uniforms, helmets, and buildings can all have extra textures added on through the numbering extension like you used. We did a lot of pioneering in CMSF and found some cool things...hopefully there'll be more with CMBN!

Mord.

On a related note, would anyone be able to tell me the file name for the bullet zip sounds? The ones you will hear downrange of the weapon as the bullets zip past your head? I have some nice ones from CMSF which give a good supersonic crack which I would like to include.

Thank you in advance.

They should be the same...drop them in your z folder and all should be ok. The best way to find all your bmps and wav files is to EXPLODE the two BRZ files that are in the data folder...I believe they are BRZ a and b.

Look in the Mod Tools folder you'll see a folder for rezexplode...open that, put them one at a time in the input folder...click the explode thing...wait until the other folder says exploded...Files will be in there. Cut and paste them in a folder and repeat with the other BRZ...you'll have access to all you want to know about naming extensions.

Mord.

Do you know if there is any performance hit from adding the additional SFX per trigger? I think only adding additional SFX triggers would hit performance? Although it would be nice if we had a few more SFX trigger options for the weapons.

Do you know if there is any performance hit from adding the additional SFX per trigger? I think only adding additional SFX triggers would hit performance? Although it would be nice if we had a few more SFX trigger options for the weapons.

I imagine the sound will degrade if you have a bunch of extras loaded and get into a heavy fire fight with a ton of guys shooting....I used to get like a delayed stuttering in CMSF. I am not certain but I am guessing a decent sound card helps with this...better than if it's onboard.

Thank you Mord, I shall try this when I get home!

You are welcome. There should be a readme in the folder if you need help...and I think in the manual...if you can't figure it out just ask and either I or someone else will get you going.

In CMSF I have every brz exploded and in folders labeled by version like; CMSF 1.3, Brit 1.1...etc...makes it easy to find info and stuff if you want to mod it. I'll be doing the smae with Normandy and all it's patches and modules.

Mord.

I'm working on a sound mod actually with sounds from a zillion different sources. I would be happy to upload it but I'm not sure I could credit all the sources they came from. It's kind of my own homebrew mix.

Sound design/composition is my profession as well so I enjoy playing with the sounds but wouldn't want anyone to get mad if I included a sound that came from them as a source.