CNMBB WON'T RUN

ppeltz

I have a Mac G4 with a ATI 8500 card. I have downloaded and installed both of the updates and the demo for CMBB. When I try to start the program

all I get is a black screen with the with the version number at the top and the words main screen at the bottom. The demo version runs fine with no problems.

I have booted into 9.2.2

I have installed 9.2.2 in a different partion.

I have disabled classic rave extension.

Battle front has sent me a new install disc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Can you run the CMBB Demo right now with your current configuration ?

Most of the ATI problems I've heard of on the Mac involve the 9000/9700 series of cards. However I believe that the 8500 series may be having some RAVE problems too with some of the newer drivers.

Are you absolutely sure that the Classic RAVE extension has been removed and not replaced by OS X ? To my knowledge the 'Classic Folder' that is so 'blessed' by OS X will replace a removed Classic RAVE extension. I'm not sure if the latest OS 10.2.x releases do this, but they likely may.

The Classic Rave extension is reinstalled each time OSX uses the Classic folder. My suggestion is to maintain two versions of 9, one for use with Classic (blessed in the System Preferences Classic pane :D ) and a separate one for booting directly into 9.

The direct boot version of 9 I have trimmed down to get rid of extraneous extensions and control panels. So far this has worked well for me. I removed Classic Rave from that folder completely.

OS10.2.4 updated resources for the video drivers including the ATI8500. What version of OSX are you running?

In terms of your CMBB install try doing your install like this: first copy the contents of the CMBB CD to a folder on your hard drive. Then run the installer from that folder, believe it or not it will run much faster and in my experience will be a much more reliable install. There are a huge number of files, and if even a few are wonky, you can run into problems.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I have tried installing a seperate 9.2.2 system on a separate partition. Copied CMBB intaller to my hard drive and then installed it in my system.

All rave classic extensions disabled. I still have the same problem when I try to start the program all I get is a black screen with the words main menu at the bottom. After that failed I reinstalled the CMBB demo and it runs fine. I'm baffled

This is strange. I have no idea why the CMBB Demo should run and the full version not.

What resolution is your desktop set to ? Do you know what resolution the CMBB Demo is running at, perhaps set your desktop to that resolution and see if that helps.

If you still get a black screen with the 'Main Menu' text at the bottom, then I suggest clicking around the bottom half of the screen and see if you can hit a 'button'. Maybe this will refresh the screen (though it may be necessary to do this in all of CM's 2D screens). Also try sending CM to the background and bring it back up to see if that refreshes the screen. I'm guessing that there may be some sort of 2D refresh problem here (though I have no idea why it would exist in the full version and not in the Demo).

Yes this is indeed strange. Since you have a separate system folder already created, could you try installing an old version of OpenGL and the ATI drivers?

I would try 1.2.1 as that generation was pretty reliable. You have a fairly unusual video card (for a mac user), so maybe the drivers for that are now incompatible with CM?