Graphic Card Recommendations

Hi there, I just solved by constant crash problem by disabling the DirectDraw Acceleration on my Voodoo 3 card. Thank Goodness. Question: 1) Is there a consensus among CMers as to what is/are the best graphic card(s) to use? (Top of the line not necessary). I'm thrilled to have the game back, but the lower resolution and the 480x640 (I think that's right) screen is something I'd like to improve upon.

2) Without graphic acceleration, my game runs okay, but I've gone back to the original graphic files (V 1.12)-will upgrading the graphs with mod files slow the game down or cause any problems? smile.gif Thanks Much

Check out the voodoo5 - they are very cheap now ($75 I think) and I get AMAZING results with CM. I run the game at 1024 X 768 with 4 X full screen anti alliasing. I wish I could post a screen shot. Try this link:

CM Outpost

Most of the screen shots were done using a voodoo5 at 4X FSAA - you can get an idea of what it can do.

Anyway - hope this helps

Hi Tiger Girl

Nice to notice yet another female hanging around. smile.gif That makes three of you, or something...

As for a good card, I'd consider bying Kryo II for a straight CM-playing graphics card.

It doesn't have all the fancy stuff like T&L and such, that isn't supported by CM, but is nearly on par with GeForce3 in performance at a much lower cost.

If you want to play other new games than CM, then T&L and other stuff might be important too, and some late Voodoo or GeForce2 is probably a better choice.

Cheers

Olle

[ 06-01-2001: Message edited by: Olle Petersson ]

The Geforce 2 MX is VERY cheap and yes you will get ALL the "good stuff". With a decent cpu and ram you will be able to play CM at 1280 x 1024 res with all the details and high res mods. A GTS will set you back quite a bit more (dunno the US prices) but is better for 3d shooters. Agian the MX will play any game out there fairly well... its all a matter of how much your willing to spend.

Dont get a voodoo card. The company, 3dfx, has been bought out and future support will be non-exsistant (thats why they are cheap).

[ 06-01-2001: Message edited by: KiwiJoe ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peter Panzer:

...pssst, hey, kiwi joe...

...will the GTS give me pretty transparencies and enable "high quality" smoke/explosions? i want the good stuff...

[ 06-01-2001: Message edited by: Peter Panzer ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A TNT2 will give you that.

Basic solution: Get rid of that damn Voodoo card. Simple as that.

And just as Kiwi Joe has said, my 64MB Geforce 2 GTS runs CM in 1280x1024 with 4X FSA and all hi-res mods just fine.

[ 06-01-2001: Message edited by: Maximus ]