Off topic - has anyone tried Airsoft?

I used to play paintball a lot in the summer, but haven't in years. If nothing else it taught me an appreciation for just how quickly you can become dehydrated and fatigued on a "battlefield", even if you are in decent shape. I also learned just how effective simple fire-and-maneuver tactics are against untrained opponents. I used the old suppress and flank to great effect on many occasions.

My worst memory was when I took cover by laying down in some tall grass, only to discover that that odd tickling feeling on my stomach was a few thousand fire ants, upset with me for crushing their mound. I stripped down to my underwear right there in the middle of a firefight to knock them off. I had 123 (I counted) fire ant stings around my waist.

1. It is all honor based. For the most part, no real problem. At least, at larger events.

2. Most of the primary events require specific kit, or restrictions to. Mostly mid-low capacity mags, (30 rnds, or sometimes 100 rnds) only one SAW per squad, max velocity of bb, etc.

I got into it cause of the military. We used airsoft weapons once, and I checked it out later. Very mature group of players, from what I've seen. There are always exceptions, but I have loved every minute of playing.

I don't remember the link policy here, but just google search "Lion Claws airsoft". Op Irene is the big event, usually at either Mascatatuck, IN., or Zussman Village, Ft. Knox, KY. Very cool stuff.

Most of the time you know when someone is hit from their body language - it hurts more than most paint ball hits.

Airsoft also tends to draw more adult ex-Mil or police players in my experience, and they understand the honour system.

The weapons are very well modelled and have pretty realistic rates of fire, although the mag capacity can be much larger than real life, but that's really a detail. It's offset by the 75m average range...

Most sites will let you hire a site gun for the day (normally an M4 or M16) so it's easy to give it a try.

I used to play paintball a lot in the summer, but haven't in years. If nothing else it taught me an appreciation for just how quickly you can become dehydrated and fatigued on a "battlefield", even if you are in decent shape. I also learned just how effective simple fire-and-maneuver tactics are against untrained opponents. I used the old suppress and flank to great effect on many occasions.

My worst memory was when I took cover by laying down in some tall grass, only to discover that that odd tickling feeling on my stomach was a few thousand fire ants, upset with me for crushing their mound. I stripped down to my underwear right there in the middle of a firefight to knock them off. I had 123 (I counted) fire ant stings around my waist.

Ouch! I crawled into a thick patch of nettles last week and was itching all evening. My wife was totally unsympathetic - don't know why!

I now have one of those water bottle back pack things for hiking (what are they called - we didn't have those yet back in the day) which I wore instead of a canteen. Very comfortable and convenient.

Been playing for a few years and I prefer it to paintball. Great fun with the proper people due to the honour system. I have far too much money sunk into it including a complete WWII 101st airborne, Cdn infantry uniform and most of a modern German kit, half a dozen guns and bunch of other accessories.

I just wish the price of guns in Canada wasn't double the US price tag.

Some partners and I had a "survival game" field back in the 80's, near a tourist trap beach area. People paid money to come hurt themselves at our place.

Built a little hootch village in the cypress forest with some old tire bunkers and a few fences that would work for offense or defense.

The weapon available back then was a cattle/tree marking pistol called a Nelspot. (peel the nelspot logo off grip and it said Daisy) Dinky CO2 cylinder in the handle and the magazine was the length of the barrel for 10 shots. .50 cal and HURT when it hit. I took a round to my kidney at 10 feet and looked like a carp out of water for quite a while.

Bolt action which we modified to pump with some PVC pipe sections.

Was a lot of fun. We got a lot of couples that wanted to play on opposing teams. "Always wanted to shoot the B&*$%#" was an oft-heard phrase.

I would not attempt it now without a defib unit on-scene.

:)