C2 question

A dismounted mech platoon (BMP-1 early) shows the platoon commander in C2 with its company HQ by means of radio. Yet the platoon HQ doesn't show a radio in its inventory.

The platoon vehicles also show C2 via radio. The platoon infantry shows C2 by voice and sight.

Does the platoon HQ have a radio that is not shown in the inventory, or is there a C2 voice link from the HQ to a vehicle with a radio?

Just to be clear. The HQ is not in the vehicle right?

No, he is not.

But playing further I discovered that the HQ unit consists of two members, the commander and the radio-operator, and the radio-operator has a radio in his speciality icon. I guess that represents the radio, instead of it being shown in the inventory like in CMSF.

No, he is not.

But playing further I discovered that the HQ unit consists of two members, the commander and the radio-operator, and the radio-operator has a radio in his speciality icon. I guess that represents the radio, instead of it being shown in the inventory like in CMSF.

Is the HQ unit close to the vehicle? I don't think that icon represents a radio.

But here another platoon HQ is not in C2, although it is just as close to one of its own vehicles.

But here the Commander is acting as a medic, so maybe that interrupts his communications, like when a HQ is moving, it is out of communications.

HQ-radio-2.jpg

(Sorry for the wide picture, but otherwise the fine print cannot be read)

I know in CMSF, units close to each share information and C2 links. My guess is that being close to the vehicle the HQ team van pass information on via the vehicle. Vehicles don't have "Eye contact" icons to indicate the C2 link, so maybe that is why a radio icon is shown.

One way of testing this is to move the HQ team far away from any possible vehicles and see if they still have C2.

I know in CMSF, units close to each share information and C2 links. My guess is that being close to the vehicle the HQ team van pass information on via the vehicle. Vehicles don't have "Eye contact" icons to indicate the C2 link, so maybe that is why a radio icon is shown.

One way of testing this is to move the HQ team far away from any possible vehicles and see if they still have C2.

Well, I did that, and the HQ is in radio contact even when its entire platoon has moved over the horizon.

And its units are in communication with the HQ.

So the HQ's radio-operator has a portable radio.

I have also seen in the mean time, that communication can be interrupted when the HQ is busy.

I have seen movement as interrupting, giving medical aid, but also being under stress by being fired at sporadically.

Fortunately those Russian HQ's are only two men in size, so you can generally keep them out of the firing line without losing too much fire power (but snipers, even if they miss, can still be a problem, very realistic I suppose).

But for the Syrians and the Dutch in CMSF (and probably Germans and Canadians as well), the HQ's are integrated in a section with considerable fire power, so I am curious about the various effects of stress on the C2 state of those platoons.

So, after looking at the same thing in CMSF, it appears that radio's are never in the inventory panel, but only in the communications panel, and only when they are in use.

In US Stryker infantry or Dutch YPR infantry, every squad has a radio, but not every team.

If you split a squad into teams, only the A team has radio contact, the B team is out of C2, even if close to its own A team.

In MG teams also only the A team has a radio, B team is out of C2 when not in range of its platoon HQ.