GeForce4 Ti4600 & CM

Hehe, hoho, foirst kid on da block to get me GF4 Ti4600. Schweet too! It ought to be for the price, but I made some back off me GF3 Ti5000. Actually CM pretty much sang with the GF3, but now I can load everthing and 32 bit and it still don't phase it. But, there are a couple things to know, for those venturing into this.

It seems to me the GF4 actually runs CM a little too fast. That is, I had trouble with closing out from a game using the Quincunx AA setting, it would hang the screen but it would go ahead and process the game file. Weird. I had to do a Alt-Tab and then re-maximize CM to get it to free up. I found the work around to this to be, to use either a lower or higher AA setting. Since the GF4 runs CM just as smooth on 4x, why not. But, just so you know.

Also, anyone who might be using a Via Pro133 chipset. The GF3 Ti5000 utilized the new Via AGP v410 driver just fine, (the one awaiting WHQL certification). I had used the Via 4in1 v4.37(a) drivers and then loaded the v4.10 AGP driver afterwards. It ran faster, or seemed to. But, the GF4 will give you fits using this v4.10 driver. Just use the Via 4in1 v4.37(a) set. The GF4 locks up all over the place with the v4.10 AGP.

Now, bring on that 32 bit CMBB.

smile.gif

Basically I believe that the Voodoo 4/5 series should work with CMBB. The only major problem (other than ESC'ing-to-the-desktop type of corruption) is that the higher resolution textures could cause consistent bouts of 'texture white out'. This will be examined by the beta testing process to see which cards may have problems.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

is that the higher resolution textures could cause consistent bouts of 'texture white out'. This will be examined by the beta testing process to see which cards may have problems.

Yeah, that is exactly my concern since the white out is caused by saturating the video memory. And since CMBB is supposed to be more vram intensive, my concern increases. That's why I'm researching GeForce 4's. But man I gotta have FSAA (been spoiled I have) smile.gif

While the GeForce family on the Mac is one of the faster cards available, it does have some driver problems that affect CM. So if you have faith/patience that these will be addressed sometime in the future, then a GeForce would be a nice upgrade. If you want something that doesn't have problems right now then a Radeon 7500 (I don't know if the 8500's are being offered yet) would be a better upgrade.

The GeForce 4's that Apple is initially offering are the GeForce 4 MX's, which is a bit of a misrepresentation. These chips are more like the GeForce 3 series in terms of features and performance. They will be an improvement over the GeForce 2 MX's that Apple offers. They'll have 64Mb of VRAM that is DDR rather than SDR. This will offer a significant boost in performance since memory speed is a big part of a video card's performance.

Not all of the performance enhancements to the GeForce 3 & 4 line will be applicable to CM. Vertex shading and T&L improvements will mean very little to CMBO/CMBB right now. However there are other improvements in these chips that will help performance in CM.

The GeForce 4 Ti is equivalent to the GeForce 4 Ti 4600 that you'll see advertised for PC's. This is probably the fastest commercial card available for the Mac. They'll have 128Mb of VRAM which will be great for textures and allow you to go insane with high-res mods. If you've got the money (and the patience to wait for better drivers) this would be the card to buy.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

(I don't know if the 8500's are being offered yet)

I could swear that I saw an ad for it in a Mac publication the other day...but maybe I was just overmedicating again. :D

[edit] I was right! :D I just checked at MacMall and they are offering it for $267.99.

The GeForce 4 Ti is equivalent to the GeForce 4 Ti 4600 that you'll see advertised for PC's. This is probably the fastest commercial card available for the Mac. They'll have 128Mb of VRAM which will be great for textures and allow you to go insane with high-res mods. If you've got the money (and the patience to wait for better drivers) this would be the card to buy.
I can wait, at least until CMBB is released. By that time maybe the price will have come down too.

Thanks, S. As usual, your kind and informative replies are most helpful.

Michael

[ March 06, 2002, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]