Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Can CM block outgoing mails??

Walker

Win98 / Outlook Express / CMBO

I’ve had this problem for a long while now:

Often when I want to send a mail after I’ve had CMBO running, or if I have CM minimised, I find I can receive mails but not send any. Sometimes closing CM solves the problem, sometimes I have to do a restart. Outlook Express also refuses to display the deleted and sent mails when this happens. I agree that this is a minor irritation compared to most of the issues here, but since a friend of mine mentioned having the same problem I began to wonder whether anyone else may have encountered this strange behaviour.

Chris Walker

To my knowledge CMBO shouldn't be blocking any sort of email. CM uses a different 'tcp' port than outgoing (25) or inbound (110) email ('smtp') does. It's possible that the amount of processor time that CM uses might cause problems with other apps, but I'm not sure what effect this would have on an email client.

What version of OutLook Express do you run and have you applied any security patches (some of the IE security patches apply to the OutLook clients too). Are you using any sort of firewall software and/or do you have some anti-virus software that acts as an email proxy (Norton and others do this). It's possible that if you have an anti-virus proxy, it may have a hard time running with CM also running, thus preventing emails from moving back and forth depending on your virus scanning settings for email.

Though this will usually show up as a problem even when you're not running CM, you may want to adjust your 'server timeouts'. In OutLook Express go to the menu > Tools > Accounts... > Mail tab > select your email account from the list > Properties button > Advanced tab > Server Timeouts slider > adjust this to the right to increase the amount of time that the email client will wait for a reply from the mail server. Usually this only addresses timeout errors where you can't send or receive to the mail server.