Battlegroup Attacks

I'm wondering on peoples opinion of this mission.

I just finished the game as RED on Elite (first time with this scenario) and found it to be challenging but in the end I steamrolled the Brits.

I lost 2 BMPs and a total of 17 KIA with some 11 T-72s lost (most to allied airpower but about a platoon+ got wiped by two Challengers that just refused to die).

I killed every Brit vehicle on the map as far as I could tell which seems a bit odd as I previously have found the Challengers to be a VERY tough nut to crack.

Were you playing H2H or against the AI?

The main issue playing against Blue is the Blue AI cannot aquire it's Javellins. When I designed this it was mainly to be played as Blue against Red or H2H. I put several AI Plans in for Blue attacking (as it was on the CD BFC don't want people firing it up only to find one side just sits there so all in-game scenarios come with AI plans for both sides although generally the designer will optimise the game for one side or another and state that in the intro screen e.g. Play as Blue Vs Red AI; H2H etc.

Howvere, this is a case where the limitations of the game engine neuter a scenario somewhat. Blue has a limited supply of Challies. Although a very good tank the human player can outmaouver the AI and get flank shots or lure it into ATGM fire thereby taking em out.

Once the Challies are KO'd the poor Warriors are fecked... Unlike the Bradley they don't have ATGM misslies mounted on their hull. So they die. Horribly. Guess it's a downside of the British Army doctrine but then the Warriors are pretty much only battle taxis and it was never foreseen that they would go up against enemy armour. That's what your ATGM assets are for - or your armour.

I'd like to see BFC allow the AI to aquire stored AT assets but I am aware how much of a coding issue that is. Perhaps in the next incarnation of CM we'll see this.

Cheers fur noo

George

I played vs AI as my opponent doesn't have the brit module.

I actually didn't have any trouble with blue inf. My first line of infantry flushed them from their warriors some 15minutes in and less than a minute later most of my rocket arty landed on top of them all. I didn't see more than some vehicle crews and HQs run around after that tbh (the Warriors sailed through the barrage though I think I might have killed a Scimitar by arty alone).

The Challies did a terrific job and I never got close enough with my T-72s as the Blue armor kept the distance in open ground. Constant maneuvering and local armor superiority won the day though.

I managed to sneak a platoon of BMPs around the right flank and got 2x Chal mobility kills and one real kill with 30mil cannons only (too close for ATGMs), engagement distances was less than 100m to the rear and sides of the Challies.

All but one of my long range ATGM assets got destroyed by warriors and airpower before even killing a single vehicle but most of the teams survived and their ammo got in handy for the remaining launcher which stopped 3 MBTs in their tracks which allowed INF with RPGs to finish them off later (though those Challies provided an immobile but impregnable fortress in the middle of the valley for a good 30mins up to that point).

I actually had a T-72 that unloaded some 15 shells frontal to a Challenger and in the end the T-72 got killed by a chopper while the Challie decided that one of my BMPs a click away needed to die.

The breaking point turned out to be when I got in behind the Blueforce HQ elements (arriving as reinforcements at a later stage) with a platoon of BMPs. I lost all vehicles (crew bailed and died horribly but no real damage which was odd) but decimated the trailing elements and the blueforce performance seemed to drop drastically.

So far I must say that it was one of the best RED scenarios I've played so far with CMSF. I don't know how I've missed it previously.

@Noob - YHM :)

Battlegroup Attacks is on the British module. CD.

@Praetori

Glad you liked it :) Sounds like the AI still gave you a fight. Good to hear. As I said if the Brit AI could access the Javelins it be a tad harder. In saying that it does sound like you used some tactics to negate the BLUEFOR technical advantages. Nice one :)

@Noob - YHM :)

Battlegroup Attacks is on the British module. CD.

I got your files and loaded the scenario - NATO Panzer Angriffe_v1, which uses the same map as Armour Attacks v 10 and it loaded into the scenario editor without a problem, however Armour Attacks locked up CMSF again and the task manager regarded it as "not responding", any thoughts ?

@Praetori

Glad you liked it :) Sounds like the AI still gave you a fight. Good to hear. As I said if the Brit AI could access the Javelins it be a tad harder. In saying that it does sound like you used some tactics to negate the BLUEFOR technical advantages. Nice one :)

Truth to be told is was mostly luck.

I anticipated where the bulk of the mech-inf would go (as it is what I would have done) and put most of my arty there. Moved up some inf (while keeping their rides hidden) and tried to halt the Warriors in my designated area, which worked like a charm. I even had time to pull the inf back before the rockets landed. I estimated that around 90% of blues infantry component got hit by the arty in two firemissions.

I did enjoy the realistic feel of the blueforce maneuvering. It felt like the acted "by the book" with a tad aggressiveness thrown in.

I didn't know the brit AI can't acquire the Javs tbh and acted accordingly but it's quite possible that the end result would have been different. Or would at least have enabled a different approach to the scenario design/AI plans had it worked?

I got your files and loaded the scenario - NATO Panzer Angriffe_v1, which uses the same map as Armour Attacks v 10 and it loaded into the scenario editor without a problem, however Armour Attacks locked up CMSF again and the task manager regarded it as "not responding", any thoughts ?

Try defragging your drive. It helped me on occasion. Basically it's a good idea to always defrag after installation of CMSF and modules. Even when windows feels it's unnecessary.

Try defragging your drive. It helped me on occasion. Basically it's a good idea to always defrag after installation of CMSF and modules. Even when windows feels it's unnecessary.

Ok thanks, but i suspect there's something wrong with the .btt file as i can load a variation of the same scenario with different Blue forces into the editor without a problem, so it's not a memory issue.

It's a very large scenario (think it's tad bigger than the others). Best bet is to load it then walk away - go make a brew, come back, Should load OK. I just tried it and works fine on mine, Just takes a while. :)

Truth to be told is was mostly luck.

I anticipated where the bulk of the mech-inf would go (as it is what I would have done) and put most of my arty there. Moved up some inf (while keeping their rides hidden) and tried to halt the Warriors in my designated area, which worked like a charm. I even had time to pull the inf back before the rockets landed. I estimated that around 90% of blues infantry component got hit by the arty in two firemissions.

I did enjoy the realistic feel of the blueforce maneuvering. It felt like the acted "by the book" with a tad aggressiveness thrown in.

I didn't know the brit AI can't acquire the Javs tbh and acted accordingly but it's quite possible that the end result would have been different. Or would at least have enabled a different approach to the scenario design/AI plans had it worked?

There are several Blue AI Plans if I mind. When desiging this scenario I did take into account both sides doctrines so hopefully the AI Plans reflect that. Nice to hear your perception is that Blue did. Must admit AI units aquiring AT assets is one of the things I would most like to see. Cheers for all the comments :)

George,

Does this mean you have some spare capacity to work on that “project” again?

Or are you splitting your time between ice cliff climbing and virtual bocage?

Ice Climbing season is over - sadly. Busy with work at the moment and very busy with virtual bocage. Not forgotten the "project" though :)

It's a very large scenario (think it's tad bigger than the others). Best bet is to load it then walk away - go make a brew, come back, Should load OK. I just tried it and works fine on mine, Just takes a while. :)

Two of the three scenarios load into the editor without a problem, the German forces version and the UK forces version, it's only when i load the US forces version that the game freezes and when i check task manager it says CMSF is not responding, so no amount of tea is going to make it start responding :), there is a conflict with my version of CMSF and that particular scenario, but only when i load it into the editor, i can play it ok as i am doing so at the moment by e mail.

It's not a problem though as all i was worried about was whether my system could handle the mapsizes combined with the force sizes but it can with ease so its a non issue as i dont want to edit Armour Attacks v 10 just play it and others of that size.