Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CMBO Mac--->PC TCP connection failure

Trooper

This one rather has us stumped.

We've just hooked up a buddy's Mac to the home network. It consists of a cable modem, a hub, two PCs and the Mac. It's a static IP system. One PC isn't used by a CMBO player, not a worry..

All machines can browse the Internet through the modem. All machines can ping each other.

Attempts to either join or host a TCP game by the Mac result in a message along the lines of 'could not connect to TCP network'. I say again, this is for either join or host, it's not a case that it can't find the other machine, just CMBO simply can't talk to the network. We know the Mac itself can.

Any guesses?

NTM

Turn off the 'AppleTalk' protocol on the Mac ?

All computers have the same 'subnet' address (i.e. - 192.168.1.x) ? I assume that the 'subnet mask' is also the same among them (i.e. - 255.255.255.0) ? They all point to the same 'gateway' (i.e. - most likely the cable modem's IP address) ? Who assigns the IP addresses on your network, your ISP (whoever that may be) ? Are you using 'NAT' (Network Address Translation), which allows you to use one IP address assigned by your ISP and then hook up all of the computers to a 'private network' (i.e. - the 192.168.1.x addresses are 'non-routable' and thus are often associated with NAT setups).

Is the CMBO patched to 1.12 version?

Sub 1.1x versions didn't do TCP.

Do you have:

- extension "OpenPlayLib" in the CMBO folder.

- "OpenPlay Modules" folder in the CMBO folder.

- "AppleTalk" and "TCP_IP" files in the "OpenPlay Modules" folder

The extensions should have come with a patch, but at least I placed them first into the system folder, which is wrong.