Installed new Nvidia drivers for Mac, now things are acting a bit strange

I just upgraded the Nvidia drivers on my G4 which raised four out of the nine to v2.3 (the other five are still 2.1.1) and then went to check it out on CM. The colors looked a bit more snappy (contrasty) which wasn't bad, but several other things have changed that I don't care for at all. One is that the printing inside the box on the save screen has once again disappeared. :eek: :( :mad:

The cursor has now turned white and moves with a jerky motion. CM is the only app where this occurs so far. Also, the pan movement when you move the cursor to the edge of the screen is initially much too quick, although curiosly it slows down to a more normal speed after the first fraction of a second. The screen motion with the number pad keys has speeded up drastically and with the arrow keys somewhat too.

I have noticed that scrolling in all apps is much jerkier using the arrow keys now. As I type, I see a noticable lag before the letters appear on the screen.

At the same time I updated the video drivers, I also up dated the firmware to 4.2.8. Not sure what if any effect that may be having on the situation, but I do think I need to go back to some of the older drivers. I recall that these were released as part of the OS 9.2.1 or something last summer and somebody who had upgraded to that system e-mailed them to me. Does anyone know where I might be able to download them seperately?

Michael

Yeah, but there was a cure last summer in the drivers that Apple released at that time. What I want to do, and you should consider, is going back, at least to the 2D driver.

Michael

P.S. I always thought it was pretty hypocritical of Jagger to sing that song in light of the fact that he was doing pretty well. Some people don't even get what they need.

[ March 17, 2002, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

Originally posted by Daman324:

You're way behind on updating there, Mac Nvidia drivers are at v2.6 and they work great. I get no graphics problems. Also, I only have 6 Nvidia files, strange that you have 9. Get the new drivers here :

Nvidia v2.6 Drivers

Thanks, Daman. I had already downloaded the 2.6 files but not installed them. My OS crapped out over the weekend, so after spending some considerable time restoring it and fiddling with all the various bits and pieces to get it working to my satisfaction, I finally decided to let it and myself be for a couple days. I'll put the new drivers in tomorrow.

BTW, I discovered the reason for the high count on the drivers. It seems that when I installed the new ones, the installer only put in the new ones, without removing the old ones. Weird. I'll watch that more closely next time.

Michael

Originally posted by Daman324:

You're way behind on updating there, Mac Nvidia drivers are at v2.6 and they work great. I get no graphics problems. Also, I only have 6 Nvidia files, strange that you have 9. Get the new drivers here :

Nvidia v2.6 Drivers

In the latest episode of the Cosmic Runaround :mad: , I tried to run the installer I downloaded from the Versiontracker website only to get a message that "This program cannot run on your computer. See the documentation for more information." Only there wasn't any documentation that I could find in the download package. I feel as if the gods are laughing at me. Meanwhile, I still have no text in the Save box.

:(:(:(

Michael

Download the Tomeviewer from Apple or if it works use the tomeviewer with the Nvidia driver download. I just did this with the "downloaded from apple" one. Just open up the Nvidia installer ( i think) with the tomeviewer program and you should be able to access these files and drop them onto your desktop or wherever you like.

Yaaaaaaayyyy!!! It worked!

:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks to everybody who helped, but especially to Hoopenfaust who provided the key. Computers sure are complicated beasts. Wonder why Apple doesn't have these drivers up on their website. :confused: And why they make them so hard to open once you find them. :confused: :confused:

Oh well, all's well that end's well. I even have sky textures back! Now where can I grab me some of those purty hi-rez skies...

Michael

[ March 21, 2002, 01:36 AM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]