French border zone forts

It looks to me from the AAR that the lack of border fortifications between Verdun and Belfort ahistorically hampers the French player's ability to shift forces north. Since so many French corps must be stationed there to guard the void, we won't see any great battles in northeast France. Shouldn't we have fortifications at Nancy and Epinal? I don't think that would be overboard. Save that, how about at least having the French corps there start out entrenched. Also, why isn't Liege in Belgium a fortress?

I think a neat feature would be if the forts had native heavy artillery (that would have one hex range op fire in defense only).

Too many forts would make things too easy for the French, and at the moment it is usually quite easy for the French to defend the area around Nancy due to the terrain and the city's own defense bonus to any garrison.

Liege was considered as a Fortress but it didn't hold out long in the war and was blown up in the process, so it played no long term role in the war.

As to northeastern France, it normally is the scene of lots of action, but this way eastern France can also see a little action too, if the Germans press that way with strong forces and the French leave this area too empty.