Unfortunately I don't think a Russia first strategy will be nearly as likely to work since the German army will already be deployed with the assumption of Schlieffen being the plan. Britain will be knocking at the door very soon with or without a Belgium invasion and the cost and time required to mvoe the German army across Germany will probably be prohibitive. I will still try to do it but it might require waiting for a mod that allows free setup. I have always been intrigued by the possibility of a Russia first strategy.

You are probably very right on this one:( But still looking forward to trying some limited attacks via Germany, but would have A-H dig in!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have played a few games against the AI - and the eastern strategy is proving really worth it- get to roll up the whole east then focus west. Be careful of deploying all forces east as UK will declare against Belgium and be ready to move into Blgium with what forces you have on hand to form a front. Why not the eastern strategy - it's a pain to slowly shift east (to save mpp in operating units) plus you get the Belgian army group to boot.