AI controlled IEDs

Ok, so while playtesting my scenario i'm finding the AI really doesn't handle IEDs well.

I set all triggermen to elite and gave them hide orders in the AI plan to try and stop them firing off their AKs, however now I've noticed that they can't spot anything while hiding, i managed to drive AFVs over the IED points about 75m away from the triggermen without any danger, in fact I discovered one triggerman when I discovered that I had arked the bulldog on top of the triggerman! He of course cut the squad down and has caused the most amount of damage of any of the triggermen lol.

I suppose i could give them ambush 75m orders, but then the wire IED triggermen are about that far from their IEDs. Am I stuck between a rock and a hard place here?

a flying rocket and hearing that swoosh strikes more fear into the hearts of gamers ;)

what ive learned during making my unreleased scenarios (working on some at this time!) is that units you had in mind and traps you want to set tend to change in practice and you have to make new challenges for the player!

good luck m8, I love long scenarios, hope to see this out soon!

PS: save often!

PS: save often!

I usually save every turn when I play games for fun, however this scen takes about 2 minutes to save, and I stopped myself from saving to try and prevent myself from reloading to get more accurate results, big mistake lol.

I'm off to go tweak the forces and hopefully give it one last playtest

Edit: Further note regarding your concerns on the Co vs Batt thing, the brits do get 2 AHs and 4 fast jets for support, allong with CO mortars and a full AS90 Battery

Hi Jonny

I have found that to get the AI to use IED's you need to do the following:

1. Set the trigger-man up with LOS to the device, don't hide him. Give him a small tight target arc to prevent him getting trigger happy (excuse pun). Arm IED.

2. Pray you don't roll snake-eyes :)

I spent hours re-doing the Al Huqf scenario where I had several trigger men, set up like above, and the results were fun. Sometimes IED's went off, sometimes the trigger man was killed. I used both wire and cell-phone dudes, and found that LOS was the most important in success.

Good luck.