A live preview?

Yes I've specifically asked Steve about this as I had raised it as a possible component of the Sydney preview.

No decision as yet (but there are a bunch of issues that do need to be worked through on it) but as soon as I get an answer I'll post it in the Sydney thread and here.

I suspect however that if it were to proceed it wouldn't be stored anywhere (i.e. you could what it "live" but that would be it) in an attempt to avoid the supposedly "limited" preview from becoming re broadcast everywhere.

Final guidance from Steve on this:

I've thought about it and I don't think a webcast is a good idea. It does open up things up too much pre-release.

The good thing about the previews we've done in the past is that there is at least one "expert" in the room who can answer questions, often by actually using the game as the answer. In theory this is possible with a Webcast at the time it is being done, but it's simply logistically impossible to field questions from everybody and give meaningful answers. Which means people are passively engaged and that can produce a lot of undesirable results.

When a copy of the Webcast is posted and viewed out of any context, that's when the real problems start! It would be like someone watching a sports highlight show and then thinking they have enough information to judge the entire game, league, player trade negotiations, etc. That's almost never a good thing.

In conclusion... let's keep this relatively small and relatively controlled :)

Steve