Noob problems

Hello all you vets out there. I just discovered this game series the other day when I was on Gamespots Top PC Games and I tried it out for the first time with my friend in MD, I live in VA. He was over for a sleepover and so we did a TCP/IP game (i got 2 computers). The adress was simple, 192.168.1.100 for me and .101 for him. I don't know how to make it so when he goes home to MD, we can still play. It says my IP is still 192.168.1.100 when I start a game and when I go find my computers invidual, off-network IP, it doesn't work. Please help! I'm sure this must be possible! I have a Linksys Router.

I also have two IP addresses on my computer. I have a 192.168.x.x number for my internal network. I have an externally visible IP from my cable modem. (In Windows 2000, I have two LAN connections, one for each network.)

When I load CM and host a TCP/IP game, the game tells me both my internal and external IP. Then I can just tell my opponent the correct one and he can connect. I've never had any problems connecting.

Based on this, I would suggest that if CM is only giving you your internal IP when you host a game, there is probably a more global issue with your network config than CM. Have you tried ipconfig to get more info about your network setup?

Dr. Rosenrosen

Cell, I'm assuming you are on cable/dsl internet. The Linksys router must be told to allow a computer to be exposed (DMZ). Access your router by typing its IP address (default enter "http://192.168.1.1") into IE and then leave the user name blank and type "admin" into the password field.

Look for the DMZ tab, open it and type the IP address of the computer you want to expose to the internet. When finished with your session, put a "0" (zero) in that field to lock the evil outside world out again.

Hope this helps.

Edit: you will need to find the external number. Your router may show it, or ipconfig may find it after you open a DMZ.

[ April 07, 2003, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: Snarker ]

Easier way then opening up the computer completely, go into the router as stated above, then go to advanced features. Go to forwarding and set the port to 7022-7024 tcp protocol and to you internal ip address. 192.168.1.100 I will assume. this will send the game information to your computer, now to get your wan address, you can go back to basic and look at status and get the wan address, or just go to www.whatismyip.com, when he wants to connect, use that ip address, and the router will send your computer the information, AND you left protection on your system.

Rune

Rune, you are an evil scenario designer and dead on with your suggestion. That should work nicely. I forget if NAT causes problems with this for me - it may have been fixed by the flash upgrade. Been awhlie since I needed to fiddle with the router...

I was just messing with mine, as I bought a switch to replace my hub, I needed more ports and am spoiled by the 100 BaseT. So took a little work to get them all to connect, but can use any of three computers to access the internet through the router, or play games against each other or copy files.

Thanks for the kinds words....New evilness coming as soon as you are all on 1.03.

Rune

thanks guys, but I've already opened the port and it hasn't worked. My friend in MD does NOT have the port open but does he need it open just to play, not to host? I will try DMZ later today though, I've dont it before and was wondering if it might work for CMBB. Thanks! tongue.gif

YES! finally got it to work! At first the network connected and all but all he saw was a white bar on his screen after it connected. He has a Mac. I told him to try Mac OS 9 and he did and it worked fine! Can't wait to buy the actual game and all, ready and willing to pay $65 towards the Complete Set! Thanks for all the help

P.S. Is there a way to play CMBB in OS X for Macs?