Another Pesky Resolution Question

I have a PC with Voodoo 3. What effects on playability of CM , Good and Bad , will I have from changing from 800x600 to 1024x768 ?

In an attempt to try moving to 1024 I noticed my desktop icons became unacceptably small. I noticed from looking at other posts there is a way to alter the files so that the desktop will open at an acceptable resolution and when selecting CM the resolution would change for gaming purposes. But what advantages can I expect in going to 1024?

Resoluting Toad.

Guest ckoharik

I believe it would be more correct to say that things will appear clearer in the game. Your field of view will remain the same at the same view level, but it will be easy to pick out units at greater ranges. Plus, it will just plain look better. However, with a Voodoo3 you might experience significant slowdown in framerates.

I think Boy_recon is correct. Everything in CM is displayed with the same number of pixels in all resolutions.

Therefore at higer resolution you see more of the map, and all units look smaller.

Louie;

It makes no difference what resolution you use on your desktop. CM use it's own settings.

My opinion is that for a 15" screen 800x600 is about optimum. For a 17" screen 1024x768 is very nice.

When using very high resolution it becomes necessary to use the zoom, ] and [, a lot.

Cheers

Olle

Hey guys, see a similar post called "I want higher resolution" or something like that...

I put a url to a tool that will allow you to switch your resoltion when entering and exiting the game automatically. Works like a charm.

BTW, CM does use your desktop resolution IF IT CAN, if it cannot, it will default back to one it can handle.

aloid

Geez, you wussies.

I run in 1280x1024 on a 17" screen. Looks just fine to me. OK, so I may not be able to see my infantry up close, but that's why I usually run at 1x unit scaling.

Also if you're wondering about icon size on your desktop looking too small, that's an easy one to fix. For one, if the desktop "image" no longer fits the screen. EXPAND IT by using your monitors Horizontal and Vertical size settings. Then if your icons and stuff seem too small for you, go into your "Display Properties -> Advanced -> General Tab" Then select "Large Fonts". This requires a reboot of the computer, I think.

WARNING: If you go to large fonts, and then you return to a low res such as 640x480, the Display Properties Window does NOT resize. Meaning that it may be larger than your screen. I did this recently and I couldn't access the "OK" or "Apply" button because it was not on the screen. To fix this, I had to boot into Safe Mode, remove my video drivers and then reinstall them.

For example before I upgraded to my 1.2 GHz system, I ran in 1152x864 res with small fonts. When I switched to 1280x1024 it made everything VERY tiny. I switched to Large Fonts and everything returned to about the size it was in 1152x864, however my screen was still in 1280x1024.