Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

strange panning problem

DaveN

I pan the screen when I'm playing and every 4 seconds theres like a momentary stop to the panning..does the same thing when I use the keyboard..it also does it in my other games..in fact it does it when I'm on my plain windows desk top screen and move the mouse cursor around ..it does it every four seconds also..I have a dell pentium 3 800mhz, 256k ram, geforce 2 mx 400 64ram...I know its not the video card because it did the same thing when I just had the onboard video that came with the system..it doesn't bother me much playing CM but when I'm playing a flight sim , its a pain in the arse ..anyone have a few clues?

Dave

I have 98SE, did a flash update on my bios..I really don't know what programs are running, how do you find that out?...I don't see the hard drive light go on when this happens so I don't think its that..just happens every 4 seconds like clockwork all the time no matter what program I'm in

Dave

Ctrl-Alt-Del will bring up the task list that will show what programs are currently running. This list may include programs running in the System Tray, major applications that are open on the desktop and other applications that are running in the background with no visual clue that they're running. This list can include all sorts of things that may be related to anti-virus scanners, printer spooler software, etc.

You can 'close' a program by highlighting it and clicking on the 'End Task' button. You'll want to leave 'Explorer' and 'systray'; almost everything else can be ended.

There are programs that are not listed on the Task List that could be affecting your problem. These are usually drivers or other system level utilities that load up like drivers. To see some of these you can go to Start Menu > Run > type 'msconfig'. This will run the Configuration program that will list the config.sys, autoexec.bat, system.ini, win.ini and some settings from the registry. Go to the Startup tab. In here you can see what is getting loaded up in the registry. You'll probably want to keep 'Scan Registry', 'Task Monitor','System Tray', 'LoadPowerProfile' (which may exist twice, keep both) and after this there may be some 'run=' statements that may be loading some optional software. These are the items you may want to consider 'unchecking' to see if they help with your problem or not.

There is still the possibility that drivers and/or devices are causing your problems. Do you have any USB devices hooked up ? Do you know if any of your devices shares an IRQ; which is especially important with the video and sound cards ?