CMBB texture size reduction for low end machines?

I know this is a bit early, but I do need to plan for that wonderful day when CMBB rolls out.

I currently enjoy CMBO on a iMac 400 mhz with a whopping 8mb of vram. This is adequate with minimal mods.

With the much greater resolution in CMBB I know my intrepid iMacs will have met their match. I know CMBB will downgrade textures automatically but will it downgrade them enough for me to run it on such decrepit machines as I posess?

I have been considering going through all the texures on the CMBB CD and using a PS batch process to reduce the size and resolution (if needed) of each texure.

I know there is the larger issue of the number of polygons hard coded into the game for each object. This issue alone may overcome my efforts rendering my iMacs into kids software and internet only devices (ok I can still play CMBO successfully smile.gif ).

Many thanks in advance. (Dan its not that I don't appreciate your textures, they are looking great and all the other great features of CMBB. Its just at the moment with the furniture industry downturn that I cannot justify getting a new computer at the moment.)

[ July 06, 2002, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: kmead ]

Supposedly 8Mb of VRAM should work with CMBB. As you said, this will involve significant downsampling.

Some beta testers have run CMBB on PowerBooks with 8Mb of VRAM and they've said that things look good. I'm not sure if the same will be true on the PC side of things. However CMBB isn't finished so some of this info may not be accurate of the finished product.

See Andreas' comments elsewhere on the board (I wish I could remember which threads, sorry). He's made a few statements indicating that things are running fine with a low-end setup (I specifically remember the video card as an 8mb Rage Pro).

In otherwords, yeah I think you'll be fine ;)