Cant't load/licence CMSF:A

I can load the game (Afghanistan) on to the hard drive, but when I try to launch it I get a message that tells me that there is a program error and that the program could not be initiated. I think something is interfering with the licencing so I turned off my f-secure anti-virus but the problem remained.

I tried to run the program as administrator but was promted for a pass word. I have never entered a pass word. Is there a default pass word? If I do have a pass word would this solve the problem with the licencing?

XP professional

SP3

F-secure 2010

I believe that you need to disable F-Secure's "Deep Guard" functionality and that should hopefully let eLicense run normally. Are you running any other security software programs (ZoneAlarm, etc.) ?

The "Run as administrator" is usually NOT necessary with Windows XP. It is a security issue that you typically have with Windows Vista and Windows 7. Windows XP does NOT have UAC (User Account Control), which is a potential culprit with some problems. For Windows XP, if you use the "Run as..." option in the right-click, you will need to provide the Administrator's password if you select that user to 'run as'. For a number of users this will be blank, since they don't often use the 'Administrator' account at all and no password has been assigned.

Thanks for the reply.

I did disable the deep guard. Perhaps I should disable F-secure processes by the ctrl-alt-del function and turning off every F-secure process?

I do not have any other software security programs running.

I tried to just leave the password blank but that was not accepted.

Again, Windows XP does not need to have the program "Run as..." since it does not have the UAC security feature. If it does not accept a 'blank' as the password, then your Administrator account has a password set for it. If you can't remember it (and really need it), you can download an utility called Ophcrack that can (when booted with a CD or USB memory stick) find most passwords for the system.

To my knowledge it was the "Deep Guard" function that blocked eLicense from running. This has worked for other customers running F-Secure and the time-limited version I ran of F-Secure 2010.

OK So far I've done the following;

Turned off Deep Guard, Turned off F-Secure. I even uninstalled F-Secure. Still No difference.

I then tried to "run as administrator" (I cracked the pass word I had thanks to Schrullenhafts suggestion of a cool program) unfortunately I still get the same error message.

Should I try to re-install the game now that I don't have a anti-virus installed?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

One other thing you may need to check is your DEP (Data Execution Prevention) settings. On some computers this needs to be ENABLED and exceptions set for our game executables and the eLicense software. Our Knowledgebase article on DEP will explain what to do.

The "Runservice.exe" file will NOT exist until you license the game. Once you have successfully licensed the game, then the file should appear in your '\Windows' directory and you can add it as an exception to the DEP settings.