setup zone/AI question

i just play tested a scenario im working on with Alibaba and ran into something im unsure of. I have setup zones laid out so i could start the ai in certain places and set them to walking. But in two player a human would likely place units in this area to great advantage. this would not be good in a human vs human game... so my question is can i start ai units in areas without setup zones? i know i can place units in non setup zone areas in the editor, but i thought the ai would not start somewhere even if placed if there is no zone for it...

Actually...you may be right. The only thing you need "set-up" zones for is to provide the AI the ability for some random areas to set-up in. If you do not place the AI Groups set-up spot within a map set-up zone, they will only start from that particular spot time after time...no variation.

So...in other words, if you want set-up variation...place them to start in map set-up zones. If you don't want variation...place them anywhere.

Actually...you may be right. The only thing you need "set-up" zones for is to provide the AI the ability for some random areas to set-up in. If you do not place the AI Groups set-up spot within a map set-up zone, they will only start from that particular spot time after time...no variation.

So...in other words, if you want set-up variation...place them to start in map set-up zones. If you don't want variation...place them anywhere.

Exactly. If you want to place the guys in specific spots, there's no need for setup zones.