Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

cm locks up when moving around map

There's a number of possibilities here. The GeForce 4's shouldn't have much of a problem running CMBO. There are some problems with FSAA and the GeForce 4 family at the moment, but I don't think that results in lockups.

Do you run any other DirectX 3D games ? If you do, then do they have any similar problems ? Have you installed a chipset driver for your motherboard ? Sometimes these drivers solve some AGP issues, which can be important. Also some BIOS settings for AGP may make a difference. You may want to check with the motherboard manufacturer's website to see if there is a BIOS update that may affect the video card compatibility.

Are you overclocking anything on your motherboard or video card ? Sometimes this may result in lockups in CM, whereas the rest of Windows runs fine.

Sometimes some motherboards and/or power supplies have a problem running video cards with a lot of memory properly. When running a 3D game a video card can draw a lot more electrical current which can lockup some motherboards due to their electrical design or the lack of sufficient power from the power supply. This can be especially true of older motherboards and low-wattage power supplies.

Windows 98 won't tell you the manufacturer or model of your motherboard unless you got it from a major manufacturer like Compaq, Gateway, Dell, etc. (then it's just a model number). The only info you're likely to get from Windows is in the Device Manager of the System control panel. In here it would be possible to find the chipset

You need to either look at the initial screen on your computer when you first turn it on (there may be a model number near the upper left hand corner). Otherwise you'll need to find a manual that may have come with your computer. As a last resort you can open up your computer and look for a silk-screened manufacturer name and model number on the motherboard itself.

Usually it is older motherboards and/or weak power supplies that may come with a number of computers that can make running a newer video card with more memory on it a problem.

As for the FSAA problems with the GeForce 4 family, I've been told that these have been fixed with the 29.42 or later drivers.

CM doesn't need a patch to make it compatible with your video card. There are quite possibly hundreds of users here who have GeForce video cards and their issues in the past have been resolved with driver updates from NVidia. Again, the last I heard in terms of GeForce 4 problems with FSAA was that it was fixed in driver version 29.42. Right now there are no known driver issues with CM and NVidia-based video cards (on the PC at least).

In your case with the lockups I'm not sure what to say. You most likely have some sort of hardware or compatibility problem (that ISN'T CM's fault). Did the GeForce 4 come with your computer or was this an upgrade ? Do you play any other 3D games that use DirectX ? They need to have a 3D environment or they won't be a reliable guage for problems with your system. It's possible that the 3D environment of CM stresses your computer more (since the video card has to draw more electrical current to draw and manage the 3D environment). Again, possibly your power supply or motherboard can't completely handle the GeForce 4 or other video cards with a lot of memory on them.

If you can't provide more info on your system then there is very little any of us here can do to help you. Everything we say would only be a stab in the dark. The problem that you are experiencing isn't universal to other users of CM (though others have had problems like you've had with CM).

Well, i want to first thank you for your help. Yes i have upgraded from a rage 128 to the g-force 4 440. I have a amd 1.2 thunderbird, mother board is a fastrak 100 bios 1.31m from promise technology. i have down loaded the video driver for the G-force 4. do i need to take a look at my direct-x? or do you have any other suggestions.

Actually that 'FastTrack 100' is an IDE RAID controller, which may be built into your motherboard. To find out which motherboard you have you'll need to look at the screen that shows up when you first turn on the computer (although the very first thing to show will be the video BIOS info for your GeForce 4MX 440). On the screen where your memory is counted there may be a model number and a BIOS version number near the upper left hand corner of that screen. It sounds like you have a newer motherboard and it may be ASUS (only a couple of motherboard manufacturers use Promise controllers on their motherboards). The Promise Fasttrack BIOS that you're seeing comes much later in the process of booting (and you've passed the screens that could identify your motherboard).

The next question is finding out how much wattage your power supply puts out. This may be a bit harder to find since not all power supplies are sufficiently stickered. Beyond wattage is also the amperage (amount of electrical current) for certain voltages, 3.3V and 5V being among the more important ones when it comes to the CPU and expansion cards (AGP & PCI). However I'm not sure what an appropriate amperage would be. I'd suggest 14A or greater for +3.3V and 22A or greater for +5V. Both of those may be fairly low when it comes to supporting AMD Athlon Thunderbirds.

Your previous video card required less electrical current than your new one does and I'm guessing that in the 3D environment your GeForce 4 is pulling more current than your power supply may be able to handle (while powering an Athlon at the same time).

In order to install the latest NVidia GeForce drivers you need to have DirectX 8.1 installed (it shouldn't work with an earlier version). If you haven't installed DirectX 8.1, then you're going to need to uninstall your video drivers (and possibly setup your card as a 'SVGA'), install DirectX 8.1 and then install the latest NVidia drivers. However I don't know if this would be causing your problem.

Generally speaking a 300W power supply is usually sufficient. That's not always true though, which may be your case.

The latest BIOS for your motherboard is v. 3.5 which you can get here from MSI (though there is nothing that mentions GeForce compatibility).

I actually have a slightly older version of this board (K7T Pro2) which is running an AMD 1.2 @ 100/200MHz and a Geforce2 MX400 with no problems. Your GeForce 4MX however will draw more current than the GeForce 2MX. This particular case only has a 235W power supply though (Sparkle - a good, OEM-only brand).

Again, you may want to uninstall your video drivers and install your video card as an SVGA, install DirectX 8.1 (again), install the VIA 4-in-1 chipset drivers to get the proper AGP driver and then install the latest NVidia drivers of your choice (you'll typically need to reboot after each of these steps before proceeding to the next one).

[ July 31, 2002, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Can the settings on my card effect the game (control panel-settings-display-advance). What should i have enabled and disabled? how much ram should i adjust to? The reason i ask, i was tinkering with the card and tryed the game for 20 minutes and no problems. I have to go to work, but when i get home i am going to play a battle and see.

I was wondering what would be the best setup for my card. I really appreciate your help. The support of this game and the help you guys give on this site is above any other out there. Battlefront is #1 in my eyes.

I'm not aware of any display setting that being enabled or disabled would cause the card to lock up or not. With the 29.42 and later drivers there shouldn't be any problems in CM with any GeForce. That should mean that you could have FSAA enabled, whatever mipmapping quality, etc. Of course having 'fog-table emulation' on lets you see fog, otherwise it's invisible.

• 1 month later...

I am totally in sympathy with your problem

I have 1000 Athlon, 256mb, Asus A7v, SB Live1024, Geoforce 4 4200 and Win98 SE

All have latest drivers including VIA 4 in 1.

Have even downloaded via to SB patch mentioned in other query.

CMBO demo and full game didnt work. Spent several weekends thinking problem had been fixed after more time on forum. Even upgraded from Geoforce 2 to 4 4200. Had to give in and return game 6 weeks later.

Have awaited CMBB demo to see if the same issue occurs. Computer still freezes with sound hanging at a random point in the game.

Hair is being pulled out at a faster rate....annoying as what I have played of game is excellent and the support by yourselves was very helpful.

Any other thoughts.

Thanks