Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

New Motherboard

My Motherboard died and I decided to upgrade to a new 933 P3 that the repair shop had in stock. I was using a ATI Rage 128 with my old system.

THe new Intel Desktop board D815EEA must not be compatable with the ATI Rage, I just noticed the Rage card in the box. My system is now running the Intel 82815 Graphics controller. I did not discuss this change with the shop.

The color in CM is now slightly dull. The look of the game is crappy. Definatly not the same.

Any suggestion on how to get my old CM back?

Well, the 815 is probably a step down in graphics capability. Depending on what the Intel board's BIOS is setup for, the card can use anywhere from 1-8Mb of System RAM for display (most likely 4Mb may be the max). The 3D performance of the 815E is approximately equivalent to the previous generation i740 (without the fast VRAM).

Depending on your OS, the latest driver version is 6.5.2. Though I don't know if this will help at all compared to what you were seeing with the ATI. The RAMDACs and default gamma between the two chips is probably quite different. However I believe neither of them supports fog effects in CM, but transparency effects should work.

My guess is that your video card should work with the Intel D815EEA motherboard. It can support both 3.3 & 1.5V AGP cards (yours is a 3.3V). If you want to go back to your old video card what you'll need to do is: 1) remove (hopefully there's an uninstaller) the Intel video drivers; 2) Before rebooting check to see that you have the latest applicable ATI drivers for your video card (Rage 3D - in the upper right hand corner) 3) Shutdown your PC, disconnect the power cord for the power supply, disconnect the monitor from the internal VGA header, open up your case and remove the back plane cover for the AGP slot and insert your video card; make sure it is seated firmly. 4) When you boot up your video card should be redetected; depending on what the shop did (a complete reinstall of the hard drive ?) your card may be recognized and have the drivers installed automatically. If not then you may have to either cancel out of the detection process and run the ATI setup program.

Hopefully this should get you back to where you want to be. For further details on your motherboard you can go here. There's possibly a newer BIOS for your motherboard - 86A (though I have no idea what it may improve on).

Thanks for the prompt reply. As always, your information is appreciated. I did not realize they would change the card with the motherboard. I will attempt the card change out or take it back on Monday when they reopen, while the ATI 128 was not the greatest, it certianly beats the socks off of this Intel card.

Thanks again.

Rick C

Actually the Intel 815E is built-in, it is part of the chipset. There's no additional charge for this item (other than an 815 board that supports video, the 815EB's are the latest iteration and they don't have built in video support). Your AGP slot should still be free. When you plug in your ATI Rage 128, the built in video should disable automatically.