Why no mortars?

I'd like to know why as well - I'm guessing it would be something to do with the new animations required to man the 60mm or 81mm mortars or whatever they used back then. They didn't have time to produce them? It's not an engine limitation because the British have on-map mortars in the British module of SF. I'd guess they have the animations for Normandy too, so it's a very strange omission. Either way it's too big to be an oversight so BFC/Snowball have a good reason. Maybe it will feature in a patch or something. Let's hope so!

It's not an engine limitation because the British have on-map mortars in the British module of SF.

For direct fire you're right, but there is no indirect fire using the british mortar.

I believe it's been announced that we will have on board mortars in CMN capable of both modes of fire so if they ever bring out a second module for CMA then mebbe we'll see it then?

Having said all that though, i believe there are some beta screenshots out there showing US on map mortars, obviously no idea if they were cabable of indirect fire or not though. Perhaps a CMSF beta tester could enlighten us?

The reality is that soviets didn't use mortars for direct fire - there just wasn't a need for that. Instead of carrying the heavy mortar then setting it up and popping rounds it was much faster and way more effective for them to call artillery or air support.

Mujahiddin sometimes did use the mortars in direct fire but not in true battles, rather as a harassment fire at soviet bases or convoys.

I think it's not correct, soviets even use "Vasilek" mounted at top of MTLB to direct fite, also airborn units take their 82mm mortars at the missions, BUT at most time in CMSF (and CMA) we have a very small maps, that not need to do a on map mortars. Then maps will be minimum 1.5x1.5km, than it will be actual.