How do I modify/add soldier's names?

Bassoprofondo

• 1 month later...

I have gotten that far. Once file is extracted, and modified how do you get the game to recognize the changes. After I have changed the names in file I still see the old names. Do you have to repack the data sfs file? If so how do you do this? I tried mount command in SFS, but no luck, and am lost. This is a great game , but personalizing the names should be easier for the player to get more into the soldier/charicters, and makes identifying soldiers easier. How do you get file to work once recognized. I have done searches and have read about SFS extractor, and am still not getting this to work. Changing the names was a selling point to get more into the indivduals. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Sorry if I quote Oudy, "TOW Modding Faq" (very important reading) , because my english is very limited:

"Extract the files to a different directory than your TOW game directory. You will copy the files and directories from this location and move them to the game directory to modify them. This is vitally important! You must move the files or directories into the exact directory structure in your TOW Game directory.

The basic method for altering files and having the changes appear in the game is as follows:

1. Change the file and save it.

2. Replicate the directory structure in the game (ie. TOW\data\units\ tanks\ger\pz_ivf2).

3. Copy the file to this directory and it will overwrite the original."

so in your case, it should be:

ToW/data/local/en

no need at all to repack...

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply Tartari, and for trying to help. No matter what I have tried I either get question marks where names should be, or no change at all. I have looked for the post TOW Modding faq, and it does not come up in search. Perhaps is you have link, and can post thanks. If it is such important reading perhaps it should be made sticky. I have modded games before, but everytime I think it should work it does not. I cannot find a tutorial that explains this in a non-confusing way. I have modded games before, but to change the names should not be such a hassle.

Here is where I am at:

I have extracted files to a folder on desktop i called "TOW Mods". I find the file to change names under data/units called "Units_PersonNames" configuration settings. I have changed just first names to colorful military call signs like "Hitman", and such. I have tried copy, and pasting this moddified "data" file to replace "data" folder in game. When I do this I get ? for names. I am even more confused with you saying the names file is in ToW/data/local/en. Those are UTF8 files in that folder, and are different from type file"Units_PersonNames" configuration settings file. I see a file in /data/local/en called names.utf8, but cannot open that file to modify.

Okay so, assuming I changed correct file in folders data/units called "Units_PersonNames" configuration settings the main problem is getting it to override to work in game right. Do I replace data folder in root TOW folder? Do I keep data folder there, and make a new folder in main TOW folder called ToW/data/local/en and place the modified file "Units_PersonNames" ? Do I place modified folder named "data" in mission editor folder?

I wish there were pics showing step by step. This really helps with people of different languages. Knowing how to do something, and explaining how to do something can be tough.

TOW developers please make this an easier process. Your average joe does not want to go through this much trouble to just change names. If one can easily change each soldiers skills with victory points, then I am no grasping why an easier option is not made to the consumer for this personalizing feature. Changing names, and personalising soldiers is a good selling point that makes the game more interesting, fun, and makes it easier for player to remember soldiers. It gives the player a more personal experience in the RPG layer of the game. I will remember, and have more fun with a dude named "Wolvorine" much easier than a dude named John.

If changing soldier profile is too hard to put into the game, then I suggest SFS extractor be made as part of the package that comes with game along with a manual with PICS that shows step by step how to change names.

Thanks again to anyone willing to help.

I know it is must be easier than I have yet discovered, but this one I just am not seeing where I am going wrong.

Vinnart,

you'll find the ToW modding FAQ at the Battlefront's repository

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=367

I never tried to add new names/lastnames myself but try to add the new names in names.utf8 (yes, you can open it with wordpad) edit/save and place in local/en (create this folders if they aren't already in your ToW folder) in the data folder (already existing, if not, create it). Hope that will help!

BTW, there's an easy way to change the name of a soldier by just clicking on his name in its unit information panel:

xd3pzlr263_tn.jpg

Tartari, thanks again for all your help. I have it working now. I was doing it right; extracting, putting in right folders, but what was throwing me off was I was modding the wrong file. When I extracted I wound first file I found had the names, so I assumed it was the right file, but turned out not to be.

I am so impressed with the developer’s 1c on this game. They saw the need that changing the names should be easier than in Africa43, and now have the feature of just clicking on name in Kursk. It is a fun RPG feature, but is very practical with dealing with foreign names that are hard to pronounce, and recognize. This new engine feature is GREAT! Especially for single player where one takes more time to know the thousands they command. I do not have Kursk because my PC does not meet min requirements, all I know of it is from demo I can play, but with much lag. If I could I would buy both Kursk, and Caan for sure.

I am new to series, but have been deeply immersed in it. Despite Africa not being as polished a game it is still great. Being new to it perhaps some comprehensive sticky post on the subject should be made to easily help other change names. I was unawre TOW1 and TOW2 use same files, and did not know of FAQ in repository. I did not get TOW1, so I did not look there. A sticky post pointing to it could be in a post on easy name changing. Thanks again.

I would write an official tutorial if I felt I knew for sure how to do it perfect. I have a few dudes still show ? for names. Here is what I did if it helps anyone.

1. Follow SFS instructions of unpacking, and launching from the TOW/mission editor folder.

2.Create folder on Desk top called TOW MODS. Also the info I saw here said it was important to palce the file called Files.inf in a folder. Not sure which one, so I placed a copy in all questionable folders.

3. Follow SFS instructions for the two directory boxes one must fill in to find the directories. Top box find and set directory to TOW/MISSION EDITOR, for bottom box set extract location to the TOW MODS folder created on desk top.

4. I think next hit search, then close and re-open SFS extractor, and it should show directory tree. Then hit extract, and the file should extract to folder you created on desktop.

In extracted folders find folder data/local/en. In there is names.utf8 file that you can open with wordpad. Also in data/units there is a name configuration file. I changed this to matched the names.utf8 file I modified. Not sure if keeping in alphebetical order is necessary, but I did.

5. Take your modified data folder, and replace it with the one in the man TOW folder, copy and paste local, and units folder in the data folder existing in main TOW folder. ATTENTION! back up original data folder first.

6. Open game and you should see changed names. I only changed first names to military call signs, and colorfull nicknames like "Bull" and such. I can use these same names for all nations to make it easier to identify, and associate with different units especially where foriegn names are concerned.

Kursk is big impovement making this whole process easier. I like that you can even give nicknames to tanks, and basicly anything. All fun, but practical options for quick command and control identification.