TCPIP Wireless Router Problem

Guest G. J. Vietz

Guest G. J. Vietz

I cannot seem to get tcp/ip to work. I have a Linksys wireless router. I have opened ports 7022-7024 to tcp protocol. Enabled the MTU and set it to 1400. Disabled the block WAN request. I have been talking wiht the folks and Linksys. Still no joy. I obviously am missing something, but I am at a loss. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Guest G. J. Vietz

Thanks for your responses. I can surf the web, so it is not a connection problem. I will try the link from redwolf. I tried it on my laptop from our work and per the link there is a firewall or something because the port was "timed out." I will try it from home and see if it works any better. Thanks again for your help.

A common problem with braindead routers is that while you must forward the port top the inside to your computer, the computer is given varying IP addresses via DHCP and some braindead routers can't follow their own IP addresses they have given out via DHCP.

In that case you have to configure the inside of your network with fixed IP addresses. In the TacOps crowd we had at least one of these cases.

Guest G. J. Vietz

I checked my real IP per Redwolf's Website. My remote IP address from a plain connection is the same as my IP address as reported for an HTTP connection. Both those are different than my machine's own idea of its IP address. Plus, the portscan for port 7023 on the remote IP address timed out or was not reachable. I did try to get a tcp connectio between my desktop and laptop via the internet and that worked, but both were using the same wireless router. I am not sure how to proceed from here. Any more help appreciated. Thanks.

You need to decide which of your two computers should get incoming CM play connections from the outside.

Since CM hardcoded the port in use to 7023 you cannot have both computers serve as servers (unless you know a bit of network wizardry and have a decent router).

Make your pick. Then, on the router, forward incoming port 7023 to the internal address of the computer you want to host on.

But as I said, watch out for braindead routers mixing up the internal addresses they give out via DHCP (if you use that, you probably do).

Guest G. J. Vietz

Thanks, my goal was to have my desktop act as the server. I was trying the tcpip between the desktop and laptop merely to see if it would work. I do not know what it proved by working. Is there anyway around the NAP/firewall? I think the reassignment of the URL is causing the problem, not the lack of port forwarding, which I think is working. I have heard of a DMX (or something like that) bridge. Would that work? If so, do you have any idea of how to do it? Also, I am going to try to hook my laptop directly to the modem and skip the router. If that works, would I be correct in assuming that the problem is the NAP firewall? Thanks again.

DMX stands for de-milerized zone.. kinda fitting considering the forum we're at!! ;)

Basically that that does is it forces the router to pass onto your computer the IP address that the router would normaly get from your ISP. If you have access to more than 1 IP from your isp then you can do that and it'll be exactly like if you were connected straight to the modem. Reason why I mention if you can get more than one IP from your isp is because if your computer takes the first IP available and it's the only one available then your other computer won't be able to get online.

I haven't setup one of these before but I hear it's fairly straight forward .. as long as your router has that option.

I've used Linksys Wireless before, and I would lean towards the info Redwolf put up and try and get port forwarding to work (either static the DHCP address to a MAC address, or static the IP address of the desktop). Exposing your desktop with a DMZ assignment (assuming the WAN port is connected to the Internet) is discouraged by most.

Found this at Linksys:

Port Forwarding

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=688&p_created=1084219690&p_sid=dVJT2gjh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jv d19jbnQ9MTk2JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9c2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwxPSZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj0mcF9jYXRfbHZsMT0mcF9jYXRfbHZsMj0mcF9zY2ZfbGFuZz0xJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9cG9ydCBmb3J3YXJkaW5n &p_li=

Port Triggering

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=344

DMZ is just a fancy way of saying "forward all ports and even non-port IP traffic to that machine on the inside". Bad idea if that is a Windoze box.

Forwarding one port (7023 in this case) is entirely sufficient.

You should just make sure that ICMP MTU discovery and related stuff isn't blocked.