Cherkasskoe defences = fail

Crossed over from the dark side to fight the Great Patriotic War but bugger me, own up, who 'designed' the Russian defensive earthworks layout because its off to the Gulag with you comrade. Trees blocking firing lanes, lots of uncovered dead ground which the Nazis can use to sneak up on you or manouver with impunity, no earthworks where you want them, greatly restricted fields of fire and so on, terrible bloody work comrade terrible :D

I guess real maps of the original WWII defences would not be available, be interesting to see them if they were.

Looked at the Syrtsev-Dubrova scenario too now I'm on a roll. Rule: if you expect a minefield or anti tank ditch to be effective then it must be able to be covered by suitable defensive action eg see the defence of Tobruk 2. Otherwise enemy combat engineers can simply roll up and lift the mines or fill in the ditch without effective opposition.

So what have we here? More dinky little defensive positions located apparently without any plan in mind which means if I play for the Russians some of my fixed units will have to be located without the benefit of earthwork protection. Ah well, nothing like a challenge :)

Looked at the Syrtsev-Dubrova scenario too now I'm on a roll. Rule: if you expect a minefield or anti tank ditch to be effective then it must be able to be covered by suitable defensive action eg see the defence of Tobruk 2. Otherwise enemy combat engineers can simply roll up and lift the mines or fill in the ditch without effective opposition.

So what have we here? More dinky little defensive positions located apparently without any plan in mind which means if I play for the Russians some of my fixed units will have to be located without the benefit of earthwork protection. Ah well, nothing like a challenge :)

Is that the mission from the demo? I played it the other day and the Russians disabled almost all of my AFVs in a matter of minutes :(

Hehe love your first post. I gave up with the Russian campaign precisely for that reason and a few others. :( The attacking AI is a killer though - it tank rushes and uses every trick in the book to get to the victory locations as quickly as possible. It gets ridiculous after a few missions unfortunately. The attacking AI would lose a fair percentage of its armour and men within a few minutes, but it would rush so fast, and generally from multiple positions, that you wouldn't stand much of a chance as the defender unless you know the AI plan. It became very frustrating. I haven't touched it in a couple of months tbh. I restarted a new German campaign as the attacker, and the AI is much better in the defensive role for obvious reasons. Shame really, this game has loads of potential. I'm intrigued to see how Korea will pan out.

Yes, the German AI rush is the problem when defending, my experience with using the defensive positions provided is basically that the AT guns are caught by surprise and over run/destroyed due to the factors mentioned in the first post. So now I place some of the AT guns where I think they should be irrespective of the availability of protective earthworks. And that can work, you may lose a gun or two due to the lack of protection but the idea is to put them to effective use before they can be spotted and knocked out. One well sited AT gun can win a battle, it can be that crucial.

Being able to build and locate your own defensive works would basically complete this great game, that and making such works invisible until they are realistically observed.

Sadly given up trying to play as the defending force, unless you play as scripted the game may stall eg if you don't follow orders which bear no relevance to the actual situation. Getting the basics like this wrong and having all defences fixed and visible really lets down the game, its many great features are negated by these fundamental flaws :(