Tank -v- hidden AT Gun - holding the target

If the AT gun is hidden but you know where it is and want your tank to keep firing at it's location, how do you instruct the tank to keep firing at that location? It seems like that if the target is not recognised the tank will fire at the location once only, to keep it firing you have to continually retarget it.

It gets worse when there is a AT rifle in view, your tank wants to target that and ingore the hidden AT gun which is firing at it. On a picky note, hidden AT guns do not show any gun flash or smoke no matter how many times they fire.

Yeh that is what I usually do S, the results vary but often the target area shows the red 'locked on' marker which lasts for one shot but then you have to repeat the targeting procedure to fire another shot, and so on. It can happen when using other weapons against other targets too, there must be a reason but I have not been able to work it out.

Strange indeed. In my short ToW experience the "ground attack" order has been working fine.

Are you really sure it was not shooting? If the LOS and LOF were clear there should not be a problem. If that is the case then watch the gun and shell loading miniscreen and ammo counter to see when the shell is loaded and shot so to make sure. Does it show the shell si ready (green dots filled up) but just not firing? What do you read at the log miniscreen?

~Viajero, he speaks about the Kursk, and you about the ToW1:) It's a bit different in Kursk.

'Smoke' command works like this (fire once, then cancel) to conserve smoke ammo. If you want to unit to fire smoke rounds repeatedly, give it the 'ground attack' insted of 'smoke' order and choose the smoke ammunition (but keep in mind that it will begin to fire HE rounds after spending all Smoke ones, which may be a nasty surprise for an infantry squad that will recieve a friendly fire HE round after a smoke cover).

In Kursk, this can also happen in a problematic case if LOF barely makes it over obstacles, for example. Before each shot AI calculates the trajectory and may end in a 'no LOF' situation due to aiming error. This is also possible if you target an area - unit fires a shot, picks another random point in this area, tries to calculate trajectory and possibly fails if it can't hit this point from its current position.

~Viajero, he speaks about the Kursk, and you about the ToW1:) It's a bit different in Kursk.

'Smoke' command works like this (fire once, then cancel) to conserve smoke ammo. If you want to unit to fire smoke rounds repeatedly, give it the 'ground attack' insted of 'smoke' order and choose the smoke ammunition (but keep in mind that it will begin to fire HE rounds after spending all Smoke ones, which may be a nasty surprise for an infantry squad that will recieve a friendly fire HE round after a smoke cover).

In Kursk, this can also happen in a problematic case if LOF barely makes it over obstacles, for example. Before each shot AI calculates the trajectory and may end in a 'no LOF' situation due to aiming error. This is also possible if you target an area - unit fires a shot, picks another random point in this area, tries to calculate trajectory and possibly fails if it can't hit this point from its current position.

No, no. I was talking about Kursk! I downloaded it too after all... but I was talking about normall shells ground fire, not smoke.

Yeh I suspect it is due to very marginal targeting, trying to minimumise exposure while still being able to fire at the enemy. This game is so good it makes you work and think hard and in detail about things like that if you want to win well. Not that its perfect, I have some tweaking suggestions :)