Your Favourite German Units?

Here are a couple of mine, the infantry gun is indespensible given the mortars are so inaccurate.

75mm Infantry Gun: plenty of ammo, usually pretty accurate, high trajectory means you can drop shells just about anywhere. They are my trouble shooters, great for checking out possible anti tank gun positions rather than risking a AFV. Locate them in a safe back area under cover and with AA protection because Russian aircraft seem to seek them out.

Pz III Aus N: Yep the 'obsolete' short barelled 75mm gun is the mobile equivalent of the IG. Lots of HE ammo with some AT ammo too, usually the crews are good so accurate shooting, two MG's, side protection, I often use them as trench sweepers concentrating particularly on eliminating AT rifles before bringing in light AFV's and infantry to do the final clean out. Keep them out of the action until the Panthers have done a sweep to locate any enemy tanks, Panthers then can act as an overwatch before moving on to the next objective.

Great thing about this game is the micromanaging necessary when using the above can be interesting and certainly challenging.

My favorites german units are the 75mm LeIG for the reason you mentionned. I would favor them over the mortars anytime because the later are VERY unaccurate (they would be deadly if several of them were fielded at the same time, but they would take too many slot and be too expensive in my opinion) . I will take a SdKfz-250/2 anyway, for the mobility and cover afforded by the vehicle, because it can be usefull against infantry in the open, and can land a few lucky shots on guns emplacements. I would then field at least two SdKfz-250 or SdKfz-251C to use as artillery tractors and/or fast transport for the infantry. They can be usefull in supporting mopping up the ennemy positions in the latter stages of the battles.

Tiger and Panthers are a must, and should be used in hull-down positions for overwatching the advance of the foot troops and protecting the advance of less protected tanks. A must have is the FlaK Vierling on SdKfz-7/1, ambushed behind buildings or a cluster of tree. It is well worth the investment once the ennemy aviation makes an appearance. It can even be used as an infantry support weapon from long range, or against light ennemy vehicles once the treath of ennemy tanks and guns have been suppressed. I would try not to risk them in this role, though, as it would be a waste to have such an asset destroyed and the trained crew killed and not be usable in the next battle.

As to the infantry, my favorite units are the scouts. I would also always take two platoon command squads, as they're a great boost the the efficiency of the troops they're with (as long as they're not killed and don't run away)

There is a long list of SPG that I would like to use more often, but as there is no ammunition carriers to go with them, they're not worth the cost. They have too few a reserve of ammunition on board to be worth the trouble. I would rather prefer use any Pz-III because of the higher ammo capacity and the versatility of the MG armament. If there were ammunition carriers and the possibility to replenish the SPGs, I would gladly use the Wespe, StuG and Marder III more often.