Recomend a book

Eastern front, serious studies. I've been browsing the forum, and am impressed by the level of knowledge on display here. So, I'm requesting help in navigating the jungle of available literature on the eastern front. I'd like to avoid the coffee table volumes with lots of pictures, and focus on the serious books that i can learn something new from. I'm aware of Glantz already, but perhaps you can enlighten me as far as any equivalent authors go.

If that's all your interested in then try these authors on Amazon for starters

George Nipe

Tony Le Tissier

Stephen A. Hamilton

John Erickson

Walter S. Dunn

Steven Zaloga

Robert Forczyk

Earl F. Ziemke

The amount of literature on the Eastern Front increases monthly.

There are personal memoirs, day by day recitations, weapons and equipment, home front and war industry, the air war, books dedicated to specific fronts and actions, tactics, strategies, command and control, machinations in Hitlers HQ, staff studies, The Red Army's development and organization etc., Amazon has them all.

Samba,

Might I also add the following authors. Many go beyond just the tactical operations and put you in the trenches with the men. I've been leaning more towards books that cover both the tactical as well as first person accounts and books by these authors are outstanding in their breadth, research, and description.

Douglas Nash

Jason D. Mark

Russ Schneider

James Lucas

Robert Kershaw

Amazon searches will bring these authors up as well. Like Jaeger, I wasn't exactly sure what you were searching for.

Heinrich505

Samba,

Might I also add the following authors.

Robert Kershaw

Read his War Without Garlands: Operation Barbarossa 1941-42 eight or nine years ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. I wouldn't claim that it is the most comprehensive account available, but it is quite readable and he raises a number of very interesting points that I had not encountered elsewhere. Thus, he left me with the impression that he had great insight into the event.

Michael