SC3, the Logistical layer

Before I post some proposals I would like for Hubert to comment on the viability of having the AI conform to the present supply feature but have human players deal with a different logistical system.

In this manner, we can keep the present system for the AI to deal with(it knows how), but design a more complicated, realistic model for human play against the AI and other humans. Now I'm not advocating tossing the present system out, just some tweaking of the details, basics are to be built upon.

I'm going to lay this out in stages and it will begin with the underlying network, which, in a way, SC already possesses. The problem with SC is again the network is not dynamic enough and defficient in player interaction, which we will try to solve.

Imagine SC's convoy system as a basis to expand upon, think of it radiating out from the home country resource base to all the acquisitions and trade partners on the map. Obviously it must be a two way street with supplies flowing in both directions and the player should be able to set it up using the "waypoint" movement system. This logistical network could be viewed by either selecting the now accessible SC convoy map or a hotkey that exposes the layer to the owning player. The network will have to use the rail and road system integral to map making for land links and then radiate from ports across sea tiles to the other friendly facilities. To appreciate full supply features the network must maintain an unbroken link and is of course subject to enemy interdiction.

Because the network can be easily interrupted the owning player must be able to modify the route from turn to turn.........the question is....route modification should be dependent/limited upon what? An MPP investment?

Since the route will have an active and passive mode, active being an offensive/repair/building logistical basis and passive being the maintenance apsects there should be some ramifications for a rapid adjustment. Also, remember the "friction" feature inherent into each tile/hex, this will cause a defficiency in the transporting of logistics if the player chooses a long and arduous route.

Any ideas?:confused:

The single most thing I don't understand or comprehend (which is rare considering my intelligence), is the 1/2 price buying of dead units & HQs.

Rail systems, supply, & the management would change the game, but for the good? Alot of micro-management & build-up which is like the real war, but the Americans would be clicking an extra 20+ mouse buttons per turn for this. Supply ships, invasion supplies, gas, ammo, etc.

SM, not sure where you're going with this thread. Got any specifics?

-Legend

Come on JJR, you haven't been paying attention. Remember or maybe you aren't OK with the rationale that SC size units are not "Killed" but just disrupted, shattered, rendered "combat ineffective" to be later rejuvenated?

One thing you're right about is the over-complications and the extra "clicks". I'm trying to think of a simple way to present the communication network, hoping for an epiphany. Just think of a vast spider web, invisible unless selected, where only the connected sites can be maintained at 5 supply/50% efficiency. Unconnected, they erode their logistics automatically, until re-established. SC already kind of does this, but it assumes that a location can sustain itself to certain level rather than relying upon its connecting infrastructure. In reality it doesn't work like that, especially for locations that are remote or ones that are cut off.

So in the new model you will connect them.....yes ...using clicks for setting the waypoints or just let the AI set the direct route, your choice.

Now....how about you....any specifics?:confused: This is just as much your game as it is mine.;)

Remember the active phase of the logistical layer, well this is a loose definition of how it should work. Any home city or connected friendly(>=80% efficiency, 8 supply:e/s) can create an enhanced supply impulse(ESI), amount set by the editor, can be dependent upon "infrastructure" research level.

Let's say you create from Berlin, 100%/10, 5 ESI, if it was 80%/8 it would be a max 3 and you send it down the network to a forward location, it moves at an editor created number of tiles/per turn, and if the number of tiles between connections is greater than ? (editor #) tiles it can suffer a friction loss. Now what happens when it reaches its destination? The city/village/resource/HQ now has that as an additional supply dump, so now efficiency/readiness/morale can move to a greater than 100% if the supply level is over 10, otherwise it adds its number to the passive value for that location. If it is 5 and the ESI is 5 the location becomes ten and can be further stockpiled to a max of 15, subject to erosion on 1 per turn or 1 per attack for elligible units.

HQs still manage supplies but their priority function now is to add APs to the attached units. I'll explain this later in the "units layer" thread.

An ESI can be transported, subject to limitations(editor) by rail, road, sea, and lastly by air, a right click activated menu allows the creation/movement and can only move through the network of 5/50% or greater s/e connected communication centers.

Any questions so far?