Can't attack AI opponent

I'm guessing there's a simple answer to this question somewhere, but I'm lazy and impatient, and I've encountered this a few times now. The most recent case is a good example: It's early 1942 and I've been playing human Axis vs. AI Allies since 1939. Japan is ready to attack Allies in the Pacific theater, but cannot. How come?

Winslow

Have you declared war on any of the Allied states in the Pacific? If Japan declares war on the USA then that should kick things off, but if that's not sufficient also declare war on one of the British Commonwealth countries with Japan.

Thanks for your help. Well, it's the old adage "RTM". I found it finally in the manual -- I didn't want to give up the game I'd invested a lot of time in, so ended up having Japan declaring war in August 1942. By that time there was a lot of US airpower ready to be deployed, and getting to the Dutch East Indies has eluded my IJN forces. The good news is that Italians have captured Cairo, the Germans have driven the Soviet capitol to Sverdlovsk and IJN ground forces are closing on Chungking. I will have to raise the difficulty level all the way next time.