Editor error

Hello, I just recently purchased Theatre of War off of Steam. I am trying to start the mission editor and keep getting an error that says I have the wrong game version.

Will this be patched soon? One of the reasons I bought the game was for the editor, so I'd love for it to be working.

Is this the Theatre of War 1 version (Russia, France and Polish theaters) ? Do you know if the game is at patch 1.10.0.81 (in the upper right hand corner of the main menu) ?

There will be no further patches to TOW 1 to my knowledge. I believe 1C Publishing is actually responsible for the TOW 1 game being distributed on Steam.

What Windows version are you using and is it 32 or 64-bit ? 64-bit OSes will have a problem running the editors and will need to perform a workaround involving some .NET developer utilities.

First, you will need to apply the 'uber patch' (1.10.0.81, which is newer than your version of 1.2.0.42) , however I do not know where the 'Steam' version of the uber patch is at. This product is officially supported by 1C Publishing and you need a patch from them that supports the Steam DRM. All of the uber patches on our site support other distributions that do NOT use the Steam DRM. If you download and apply one of those patches, it will break your game.

1C Publishing's Download Page for Theatre of War also does NOT list the appropriate patch for the Steam distribution. I'm not familiar enough with Steam to tell you what resource to use for patches.

More than likely you will need to contact 1C Publishing Support (which is actually just an email contact support@1cpublishing.eu. Hopefully they can direct you to where the patch can be downloaded/obtained.

This is really surprising on 1C's part since the 'uber patch' has been available for a few years and the Steam distribution of the game has been made available only recently - yet 1C is distributing an older version of the executable.

Once you have patched with the uber patch you can then perform the following to attempt to make the editors compatible with your 64-bit version of Windows. This is not guaranteed to work, but it is the current workaround that we know of. If this doesn't work, then there is no other recourse that we're aware of at this point:

The TOW Mission Editor is a .net executable, meaning it contains a header region that can be edited by some freely available tools from Microsoft. Download the 64-bit .NET 2.0 SDK from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1aef6fce-6e06-4b66-afe4-9aad3c835d3d&displaylang=en

(this is a 337MB download)

Download and install. Once that has installed go to your Windows/Start menu > All Programs > open the "Microsoft .NET Framework SDK v2.0 (64bit)" folder. In here click on the "SDK Command Prompt". This will open a special command prompt window. In here type the following and then hit [Enter] when done:

cd \Program Files (x86)\Battlefront\Theatre of War\MissionEditor

(NOTE: You may need to change this to another directory if that's not where it is installed or you have a non-Battlefront version of the game)

Now type:

Corflags Editor.exe /32BIT+

and hit [Enter] .

Now type:

Corflags MissionGen.exe /32BIT+

and hit [Enter] .

The editors should now run. This was originally a workaround posted by another customer for getting the editors to work under Windows Vista 64-bit. I believe that they will work with Windows 7, but it is not guaranteed. If this doesn't work, then I'm afraid that there is no way to get the editors from TOW 1 working without installing them on a 32-bit Windows version.