Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Flags on the wrong side of uniform?

I was looking through the CM Nato pictures of the Canadians and it looks like there's something peeking out from under the right shoulder pad of the armor. Is that the flag(if it is the colours are wrong) or some sort of IFF? And it does'nt look like there's a flag on the left shoulder.

Canadians_0004.jpg

As well, what vehicles are we going to see for the Canadians? Just the LAV's, Gwagon, and Leopards? How about Bisons? Any LAV RWS? Are the LAV's going to be the uparmored ones or just basic? The screen shot looks like a un-upgraded LAV as the ones overseas have a shield that goes all the way around the back. My Bison had the same thing when I was overseas in 2008

Canadian arm badging has undergone quite a few changes over the years. The 2nd Model uniform, which has arm pockets, has velcro for various badging on both arms. The 1st Model Arid uniform only had a small bit of velcro on the left shoulder for the national flag.

From what I've seen of pics on the Net, and from a friend who served in Afghanistan, the badging worn was kinda improvised at the local unit level. In fact, the first badge of 2nd Model uniforms didn't have much velcro on the pockets so some soldiers were literally unable to have the same badging as others within the same unit. Kinda chaotic :D

One thing though... the white/red flag on the uniforms in that picture are incorrect. That's a garrison (or formal) occasion badge only. It shouldn't be in a combat setting. I think that's fixed now, but I'll double check.

Steve

I have the Arid shirt in my basement now with my badges from 2008.

The left side of the uniform had the flag at the shoulder, a black and white IFF IR patch underneath on the flag of the pocket, and right underneath on the pocket itself was a round ISAF patch.

On the right side we had a black and green canadian flag IR patch.

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'garrison' patch. Guys liked switching out the patchs in Afghanistan with ones they could get tailor made or done at the shops in KAF. Most of the time it was unit ones, or personel ones. Even 'funny' patchs that couldn't be worn around the RSM but were slapped on once outside the gate.

If it's changed since then I apologize, but I'm just going off of what i remember when I was overseas. The uniforms could have changed since then. For my ROTO we had to turn in our uniforms coming in for ones altered by a tailor.

Sigop22,

I don't think the standard regs have changed since your rotation, though I could be mistaken there. Either way it doesn't really matter to us what the regs are now since we are simulating the 2008ish timeframe anyway. I have a badged Arid shirt from a 2008/2009 rotation that's badged as you describe. And the theater made "funny" patches that came with it are indeed quite funny :)

By "garrison" I mean that the red and white colored flag isn't worn in the field, but rather in non-combat situations (home, NATO HQ, etc.). As you say, the green and black IR reflective patch is worn on the right sleeve. I've confirmed that's already long since been corrected in the game, so no problems there.

Steve

Patches were still unchanged as of spring of this year. Unofficial/custom patches were (stupidy) strictly forbidden even outside the wire with my company commander threatening to charge anyone if he saw one. Brassards attached to the frag vest also became manditory, covering up everything except the ISAF patch.

We were also required to wear the red/white Canadian flag at the coy HQ.

Thanks Steve!

Yea those badges became really popular and then they really started cracking down on them. As much as I loved mine, I could see why it would be bad PR if they had a big picture of a guy on patrol with a big "Haji Hunters Unlimited" badge pasted to his arm.

Interesting! The changes in uniforms and badging regulations over the years throughout the ISAF forces is mind boggling. Someone could probably earn a PhD just sorting through that, then get a second one for documenting the unofficial stuff ;)

Carbon-14... interesting that you're now required to wear the full color flag within the company HQ. And that's some "smart" thinking about the brassard. If regs can possibly be changed to make a uniform hotter, seems that they will be. I'm hoping that the Arid brassards aren't Cordura like the Temperate ones. But I'm guessing they are, simply because that would make things even hotter :)

Steve

Inside KAF you're suppose to wear the coloured flag on the shoulder since all you're pretty much as un-tactical as you can get. Once outside it either comes off or you switch out with an IR Green one if you get one. Or a tan flag. Or just wear the coloured one anyways. I've never really noticed any sort of SOP on the flag on the shoulder. I wore a normal one the few times I went outside and so did a few of the guys I worked with. But I also saw guys with the other two.

It made sence to put limits on the patches. But they were only banned in the battle group. And we for some reason we were still forced to create a semi-official company patch that we were never allowed to wear.

No one really cared what colour flag people wore outside the wire. Most often it was the IR one. It was just our OC that was adamant about wearing the red/white one in the HQ. I doubt any other company had the retarded rules we had.

I had a winter tour so there wasn't a big issue with heat with the brassards. But the turret crews sure hated them as they often got caught while moving in/out of the turret.

I think KAF is just a testing ground to see what new rules the RSM's can get away with in an operational theatre to make it more and more like CFB Kandahar.

From what I recall the guys hated them. Added heat and as you said it made it easier to catch on stuff getting in and out. The LAV turret isn't especially very roomy, so there was actually a bit of protest when they were considering making guys wear their tacvests in the turret as well.