german tank getting squirrely

Hello folks,

I've been having some problems trying to get my german tanks to behave. I got the line going through the free move icon so that they are supposed to stay in place but they are moving.

The other problem is that I cannot seem to get the tank to rotate its' hull in the direction the anti tank guns is firing at them. I've lost quite a few tanks this way.

Do you guys or gals have any tips on getting the tanks to stay put and to get their hulls to rotate in the direction in which they are being fired upon?

My rant:

I'm on this mission where I'm assaulting a town and the freakin russians have an absolutely evil setup with their AT guns and spgs. If I don't micro manage the tanks they are lawn mulch. The russians have a bunch of AT guns on a hill to my right. They have more AT guns set up on a road to directly in front of me (to either side of the road). On the left they have a few more AT guns and they have the SPGS far in the back of the map entrenched. I think its' like the 3rd german mission. God, what a truly evil setup. The person who placed those pieces was a tactical genius.

Love the german tanks though. They take quite a pummeling before they go down (unlike the russian tanks).

I remember playing the russian campaign and it felt like I could not penetrate the panther's armor with the russian 76mm guns. I had to disable them. knock out their tracks. The AI however in the german campaign is able to knock out my panthers completely.

Anyone have some tips to share in keeping up the survivability of your units?

Bug alert: Found out on this mission that the german quad mobile AA gun doesn't seem to fire at ground attack russian planes. However, the single mobile german aa gun does. The sfk (sorry for my war illiteracy) scout cars (1 or 2 persons inside - not the troop transports - the open top ones with four wheels - yeah I know real specific will fire their guns at the planes when they attack.) Kind of weird that they don't fire. Anyone experience that with the quad AA?

I love all the units in this game. I need to find some time to research them to find out what they excel in. Right now I look for the most armor and biggest gun on the tank and choose that one. But it "seems" like the heavier the armor, the more likely they end up getting stuck in swamp or sand terrain. Just my impression.

thanks!

Yes, it's a 'feature' that you can disable. You see the 'prone' or action button or whatever it is - if you left click it will turn it off. That will stop the AI controlling your units basically. I think it does this to help a little in tight spots, but I find it suicidal in almost every case I have seen it used. I group select everything before I start and turn the bleeding thing off!

As for help surviving, it is a pretty frustrating game. There is always a chance of losing a percentage of your units regardless of how well you play due to the triggers in the missions. Also, I find enemy air assets are now lethal since the latest patch. They seem to be able to find all your little infantry guns/AAA assets even if they are hidden! Those pesky IL2's!!

I would basically use infantry more now - they are far improved. Use them in force to scout/advance, keeping prone, and keep your armour back hull down if possible. Use armour like the Tiger in support roles only on vast expanses of land. Use your smaller armour units in with the infantry. You cannot really afford to lose Panthers/Tigers.