German Hummel issue

I can't get them to fire on the location that I direct with the attack mode icon, they just start to drive to it :eek:, not a good idea :mad:

I cannot use the area fire or attack orders, any ideas?

Since it was designed to give infantry support as SPG, so far in the game it's totally usless, looks pretty, but useless.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Het'z

Yes I use this order, but they do not shoot as in an indirect mode but want to attack they enemy like a Tiger tank.

Example, I had 2 Hummel's on a hill over looking the enemy, ordered them to area fire with HE rounds, both units took off to attack the enemy at point blank range, very bad results :D. These are the only units I'm having trouble with, the game is outstanding I enjoy it alot!

Thanks

Sneaksie

Het'z

Well I finally got them shoot somewhat indirect at the target, they have to have a line of sight to the target or they wont shoot.

This takes away from realistic game play with the Hummel, Wespe and others like it. These where infantry indirect fire support weapons from what I have read, not direct fire, I'm sure they were used in this manner, but only as a last effort. Gives the infantry very little support to laying down a barrage prior to sending the boys in.

maybe the next patch?

Thanks,

Het'z

Yeh against entrenched infantry indirect fire is needed and was available back in the day in several forms. I haven't noticed that supression works so its a unrealistically tough job to attack with infantry even with tank support, particularly that so far I've found mortar fire to be wildly inaccurate too.

You reach a stalemate and can only proceed by sending heaps of infantry, most of who will be knocked in the first minute.

• 2 weeks later...

the game aims to use realistic, historical ballistics and physics. The hummel and wespe were indirect fire at much larger ranges than the maps we have for TOW Kursk. The projectiles are moving too fast to arc down over short distance. you can use em to fire blind through trees with another units spotting for them but not over big hill. you need a mortar for that.

Outammo has it I think although it would be realistic to be able to have a gun lock onto a moving target once it is technically possible to do so, without the possibility that the gun's vehicle will subsequentially start to move out of position. I've tried every combination of controls to get this, without success.

For close infantry support perhaps one of the short 75mm tank gun options would be better or even a SdKfz 251/9 if there are no AT guns around to poke holes in it.