Forum Not Marking Topics as Read

I've been noticing since the recent site hacking that the forum software sometimes doesn't automatically mark topics as read when returning to the parent forum. Anyone else seeing this?

I noticed the same thing, and like you say, it began after the hacking incident. This is curiously in contrast with the fact that after I've been logged onto the forum for some 20-30 minutes, it marks all topics as read whether I've read them or not.

Michael

Working fine here across various browsers. Sounds more like a browser cache issue on your end to me.

I'm using the latest version of Firefox here. Dunno if it has anything to do with it. Like I said, this only started happening after the site's hacking.

Anyhow, not a big deal.

• 5 weeks later...
Working fine here across various browsers. Sounds more like a browser cache issue on your end to me.

I've been observing this issue now for several weeks, across different browsers and different computers, cache and cookies cleared to make sure nothing funky is going on at my end. The issue is there no matter what, and, as far as I can tell, the issue crops up in the following circumstance:

If a thread with new messages in it does not advance to a new page, then the forum software will not automatically mark the message as read when returning to the listing of threads in the given forum.

Put another way: if, for example, I open a one-page message that has one new reply in it, the message will not be automatically marked as read. However, if a thread has new replies in it that causes a new page to be created, then the forum software will mark the message as read.

If a thread with new messages in it does not advance to a new page, then the forum software will not automatically mark the message as read when returning to the listing of threads in the given forum.

Oddly enough, I have observed somewhat the opposite problem. If a thread has advanced to a new page and I add a post to it, or if my post causes it to advance to a new page, the forum software does not mark it as read.

Another oddity sometimes occurs. I read all the new posts in a thread, but when I come back to the main page of that forum, it may not mark the thread as read. If I then go into another thread, then when I come back to the main page, both threads are marked read. It's all pretty screwy and inconsistent.

Michael